Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continous Beeps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chrisgritz

chrisgritz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

K well i just bought a comp, its a barebone kit, when i turn it on it gives me 5 short beeps, pauses then continous short beeps, anyone know what this prob is?

Its an AWARD BIOS motherboard

More info.

I ordered the barebone without a harddrive or Graphics card. I put in my own harddrive and graphics card and im getting those beeps, im tried removing GC, didnt work, Removing HD, didnt work, reseating the ram, didnt work, ive tried almost everything all i get is 5 short beeps then it sounds like it loads something and then continous beeps from thier on. Also when i connect the monitor the monitor acts like if it went to stand by mode, the little green light turns yellow. I have also even tried connecting a stronger power supply, did not work. Can anyone please help me. Thanks :\

Edited by chrisgritz, 30 December 2008 - 12:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

Possible CPU problems. Pull it and check for bent pins. Before you put it back in, attach everything else and turn it on. If it continues to run without the CPU, it's bad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

I would have to guess memory.

You say that you've already removed and reseated the modules. I would try running Memtest.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

What is the motherboard? What are the RAM modules (size, manufacturer, speed)?

If the RAM came with...I'd be thinking RMA at this point.

Louis

#4 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

ok well i removed the CPU and turned it on and i heard no beeps at all but ofcourse it does not go anywhere, so is this a CPU prob? my monitor still looks like if it was on stand by mode.

Also the motherboard is, well im not sure but it came with a box and its called PCChips, it has a NVIDIA Chipset or w/e.
its a A15G AM2+ uATX M/B

and the Ram did come with the MB, its dual 2GB 800mhz, idk the manufacter because it came with the Barebone.

Power Supply is also only 160w, is that a prob?

Edited by chrisgritz, 30 December 2008 - 12:20 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

Is this an older PSU? Does it have the PSU connector for the CPU on the motherboard? Does it have the 24 pin connector from the PSU?

I haven't seen a PSU that small in ages, in the last couple of years even people like Dell, HP, and Gateway will use at least a 300W PSU. What graphics card are you using, or is it onboard?

By the way, Award BIOS is know for selling their product to manufacturers who modify the BIOS for their purposes. This makes finding out what the beep codes are difficult.

Award BIOS Post Codes

Unfortunately there are many versions of the Award BIOS, and they are supported not by one company, but by the motherboard maker. Award's website states "Award Software software products are sold to a board or system manufacturer ("hardware vendor"), who customizes them further before selling the system. Award Software cannot supply upgrades for a BIOS that has been subsequently modified by hardware vendors."

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Edited by dc3, 30 December 2008 - 12:49 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

Idk, forget it ive messed with this comp all night and nothing, i bought it from a company called barebonekit.net aka Ascendtech.us , after i bought this comp i decided to look at reviews on them, yes i know i did it the other way around, i should have looked first, alot of people complained about getting Faulty products, PLEASE noone ever buy from this company, it took 3 weeks for me to receive my product and well its Faulty i know it is for a fact. To send it back i even have to pay and also have to pay agian for them to ship the new product agian to me. Do not buy from this company.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hmmm...I've bought components from Ascendtech before, with no problems.

But each day is different, as are our experiences :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

true, well im guessin the motherboard is faulty, ive talked to one of thier technical support representatives and everything they told me to try i tried it last night and still got the beeps, do u guys think the MB is faulty? because the MB that came with the Comp is only 40 bucks, so if i know for a fact is the MB i will just order that instead of sending them back the comp and payin 30 for shipping then waiting about another 3 weeks to get it back i can just spend 40 and get the MB in 1 week, but im not sure if its the MB or not...hmm tough decision

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

Well, I can't say...wouldn't be able to do so even if the board was in front of me. I would have to spend (IMO) too many hours eliminating everything else before I concluded that a MB was bad.

My personal approach on purchases for the systems I either own or have bought and given away as gifts to others...it's not worthwhile to return anything other than memory. Between the shipping charges and the time without...I just write it off and eliminate that product from mental inventory on my next purchase.

Although I don't really need to have my systems running ASAP...I like it that way and it's just easier for me to order a replacement board or whatever. I've only RMA'd 2 items in my life...1 monitor (tremendous waste of time) and some RAM (it happens). I returned the RAM only because it was more than $50 valuation at that time and I had my other system to fall back on.

I'd have a different approach if I spent a lot of money on my systems (actually, I'd probably have the same approach because money would be less important), but I don't think it's worth increasing my likelihood of having a heart attack.

I treat defective or non-functional computer parts in the same manner that I treat traffic tickets...get the wallet out, pay for it, and learn something from the experience :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

Lol yea true, Well i think i might have come to a conclusion. I have another comp in the house and what i did was that i opened the tower removed both of the RAM sticks on that comp and turned it on, what did it do? the exact same thing that my new barebone is doing, turns on but only gives me continuous beeps and the monitor doesnt cut on either. I put them back in and the system is working fine, so my guess is that the RAM that came with the barebone is faulty? im having my bro bring a stick of ram tom to see what it does, hopefully this is the prob and not the whole MB, if it is, im just going to have to spend an extra 100 bucks on 4gbs :\. Meh

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:31 AM

If the BIOS of that computer is the same as the other then that could b true, but different BIOS manufacturers have different beep codes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

yea your right, well i tried it on a 3rd comp, this time on that comp thier was no beeps but the monitor still didnt turn on, btw the 2 comps i tried it on, the 1st one was a dell and the 2nd is a custom built so idk what type of BIOS the MB has, but i really do think its the RAM on the barebone kit

#13 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

I had this problem once, it definately the memory, though in my case it turned out to be a dead ram slot. :thumbsup:

#14 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

I had this problem once, it definately the memory, though in my case it turned out to be a dead ram slot. :thumbsup:

hmmmmmm, that might be the prob with my MB, idk if its the RAM slots are dead now or the RAM Sticks are faulty ugh this sucks i dont want to waste money for nothing

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

If you suspect a RAM situation, you can run Memtest to try to isolate/determine just what might be wrong.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

You will need to use an iso-burning program to create the bootable CD, such as Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW. - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm (which I use because it's simple).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users