Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup problem not booting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sluie

sluie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:52 AM

real problem here, it flashes up the first couple of black screens and then cycles the power and does it all again! if i change the bios to boot from cd and put in the xp disk it loads all of the drivers from the cd-rom and when it gets to the 'starting windows' title(still on a blank, blue sreen) it just sits there.
it won't start up in safe mode or last known working configuration
it wont start up even if i swap the hdd with a known working one, it does exactly the same thing.
it became like this after hanging on the shutdown screen so i pushed the reset button on the case and then this started
it's an amd 64 3000 with 512mb ddr400, 200gb sata hdd, radeon 9600 256mb graphics, pioneer 4x dvd-rw, xp pro
please help
dont know what to do next
cant afford an expensive rebuild
thanks
sluie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 avess

avess

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:42 AM

Hi Sluie,

I just suggest with your problem is :

1. Used The right driver for all hardware and should be detect
2. Try to change Your VGA card with the other type

in this case I look only maybe a problem in VGA card (maybe not compatible) or maybe problem with your AGP slot (You should try install the right driver for your motherboard)

I hope this suggest can be solve your problem.

C U,
Avess :thumbsup:

#3 sluie

sluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

thanks avess, but this has been working ok up to last week, it hung when shutting down one time so i hit the reset button on the pc and then this startup problem started.
i've now tested this with a new hdd which was just out of the box but the same thing happens, when i try to boot from the xp cd it loads all of the drivers and when it gets to the "setup is starting windows" prompt it will not go any further
thanks for your help

#4 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

I take it you've got 2 sticks of 256mb ram, if so only boot up with one stick in dimm1. Further more, detatch anything you don't neccesarily need to eliminate certain hardware, could even be an SATA issue though...

Remove your PCI Cards, leaving just your graphics card in and boot up then....

If you have another hdd, such as an IDE one, use that, to eliminate it being anything other than your hard drive. If another drive boots up alright then you'll know what the problem is.

#5 sluie

sluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:14 AM

thanks everyone,
the problem was the ram! i didn't really suspect it before as it was new in october it was one stick of 512
i spoke to the suppliers who have sent me a new stick it's all fine and dandy now
it was a good opportunity to wipe the drive and do a fresh install as well so there's none of the old junk left behind
cheers
sluie

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

Dear sluie,

Ram is important and should be a primary issue.

I recommend upgrading your Ram to Corsair Ram in the future.

I have 2 GB 3200 400 DDR XMS in my gamer computer and haven't had any problems.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users