I have noticed that the default installation of Avira AntiVir Personal v8 has some disabled settings that are supposed to be enabled in a good antivirus. So I decided to contribute to this forum by giving a list of what should be enabled.
1. Open the AntiVir window, then click on Configurations.
2. In the window that appears, add a checkmark on the box beside "Expert mode".
3. Click on Scanner. Under Files, make sure that "All files" is selected. Under "Additional settings", make sure that there is a checkmark on "Scan boot sectors of selected drives", "Scan master boot sectors", "Follow symbolic links" and "Search for Rootkits before scan".
4. Click on Guard. Under "Scan mode", make sure "Scan when reading and writing" is selected. Under "Files", make sure "All files" is selected.
5. Click on the plus sign beside General. Click on "Extended threat categories". Make sure that these items are selected:
- Application (APPL)
- Back-door client (BDC)
- Double-extension files
- Security privacy risk (SPR)
7. Click on "OK" to close the window.