Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spiraling Into an Eventual Dooms Day: Darn those Trogans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdwinBlack

EdwinBlack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

:thumbsup:
So, I'm new here. And don't kill me if this is in the wrong spot (sorry to admins or w/e). I thought possibly someone may offer some good advice about how best to remove these virus' or possibly tell me what the heck is going on inside my computer.

Okay, so I'm running on a laptop (((Toshiba MDETR20ACP03 Intel® Celeron® M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz and 1.47GHZ, 896 MB of RAM Also with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Version 2002))). Oh and I'm on Valcom, a seller for BELL canada (god I hate them so).

If that helped much.

I use it mainly for internet browsing (usually on Mozilla) and recently I've developed so many issues with it that its driving me absolutely up the wall! And now I'm stuck using google chrome, which isn't so bad but Mozilla has all my bookmarks. I realize I have to be more careful with downloading and browsing but I've never seen it this bad before.

I believe from what I've researched I've been infected with malware or what not. AVG is continuously popping up with warnings of trogan virus' and multiple advertising cookie trackers. I've scanned my computer a dozen times (slow scan, fast scan, auto scan you name it!) and it comes up with its usual list of tracking cookies and what feels like a few hundred Trogans. (maybe not so much?)

I'm getting things called Vundo, BHOs, SHeur2, etc. It just doesn't seem to stop!

So far I can no longer run Iexplorer or Mozilla because pop ups run in the background and slow my machine to a complete halt.

I have no clue what I've done to the computer gods to have this many problems but I'm trying my best to fix the problem with my limited knowledge of internet infection. As you can tell I'm not super worried about this because I know it can be fixed and there aren't any special or private files I really need to stress over except for my ongoing novel (which can easily be backed up). I've just come to the point where it needs to be taken care of.

Added Note: My mother is really good with computers as she used to build them and she's obsessed with computer health due to her accounting job, (definitely don't want those files infected) so I considered using ComboFix, possibly as a last resort? But I don't want to screw my laptop up with it removing important windows functions (been there and gone through that pain before with a desktop) Though I thought if I did use Combo fix and then just system restored the important files back I could get my laptop back and running.... Also I was wondering about possible ways to get rid of it other than CF because I'm not making it about that, what about superantispyware? Or is there anything else? I have no clue.

Anyways, if anyone has a suggestion or is suffering like me I'd be pleased to hear it! PLEASE HELP!

Edwin B.

P.s Don't give me crap about the ComboFix stuff, I was just rambling and I will use it at my own risk. I'm not stupid, neither do I want some rude reply telling me so. I just want to know if anyone is experiencing the same difficulties or any hints they may have to some how fixing this problem. So, after saying that this post is not directly dealing with CF, I just want some suggestions and I'll work it out from there! Thanks a bunch!!

P.p.s HAPPY New Year and Christmas (if you celebrate.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

I wont give you crap about using ComboFix - I think you understand it can toast the computer :thumbsup:

Let's start here:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 EdwinBlack

EdwinBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thank you very very VERY much. Kudos for you!

Unfortunately Bell is giving us problems with the phone/cable lines so the internet has been on and off like a child on a sugar high for the past few days. However, I will give your instructions a go and hopefully my laptop will finally be fixed, at least to a degree. Haha. THANKS! :thumbsup:

I appreciate you taking your time to respond to my 'crisis', may your 2009 be very prosperous!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users