Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu at 60 to 80% when no progams running

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 scorpio123

scorpio123

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

i have a p4 compac\hp d530 desktop, bought used. this is my second because i exchanged the first because of the same problem im having now. i kept my hard drives , memory, dvd writer, dial up fax modem, and am running the same os, win xp pro. from the first pc which i installed in the second. the problem is cpu running at 60 to 80 % when nothing is running. it dosent happen at all times , pc somtimes works great for hours or somtimes minutes before somthing starts draining cpu. a reboot fixes it , but could be good for hours or minutes before it starts happening again. it dosent show in task manager what is running, system idle right now shows 80 to 99 % and at the same time cpu shows 60 to 80%. system really slows down when this problem starts. ive tried looking for malware adware, viruses nothing!!!!!!! i cant figure this out and it makes me want to run this pc over with my car !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: lol any help or suggestions would be appreciated. normally this pc is pretty fast when its running properly 2.8 ghz and 1 gb ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

First thing I would do is update all the drivers. Go here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodTop...;dlc=&cc=us and choose the exact model of your computer, then click download drivers. I would download most of them including audio, chipset, graphics, and input devices. Stay away from the bios for now, but if you see any others that may be useful, go ahead for them!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

i have updated all drivers, also ive been all over hp website and still no luck,thanks for the repley though . any other ideas would be great !

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

What programs do you have running? Some anti-viruses will start updating when you don't know about it, and really cause the system to slow down.

I know you mentioned looking in task manager, but when this happens, are you sure system idle process is the only task with a number (other than 0) in the cpu usage field?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

i have avast, and when its updating it shows in task manager, when the cpu shows really high 60 to 80% system idle shows 99% . I know it dosent make sense , i cant understand it . somtimes it lasts minutes but usually hours unless i reboot, then it comes back down to normal somtimes for hours , somtimes for minutes. ive ran every scan i can think of, last night i took out my hard drive and put in a different one and it still happened. ive scanned for viruses , malware , spyware etc. ive ran tests on my whole system, on memory , on my hard drive, and cpu, Nothing!! this is just a shot in the dark , but does it matter if you have more than one thing on the same IRQ? i have irq 5 with ethernet controller and multimedia audio controller. and on IRQ 18 ive got intel universal host controller 24d7, actiontec fax modem, ultra ata storage controller 24d1. Could this have anything to do with it ?

Edited by scorpio123, 05 January 2009 - 02:27 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

99% System Idle is a good thing. That's the one process that you want to see those numbers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

As garmanma said, 99% usage for system idle process is normal, it isn't really using that though.

I have heard of IRQ conflicts before, but have never experienced them first hand. Maybe this article can help you: http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Resolve-IRQ-Conflict.htm .

#8 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

i know system idle is normal when at 99% but at the exact same time to have cpu running at 60 to 80% when I have no programs running isnt. normaly if no programs are running cpu ( when my pc isnt having this prob ) is running at 0 to 5 % and system idle is at 95 to 99 %. my pc when im having the problem shows system idle at 95 to 99% and cpu at 60 to 80% at the same time and i have no programs running either?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Can you post a screen shot of the Processes tab...when your system reflects these high percentages of CPU use?

The entire tab, please. Do two shots if you have to.

Normally, IRQ-sharing is what happens in XP. I currently have two or three devices assigned IRQs 20, 21, and 23.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068

Louis

#10 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

can you please tell me how to do a screen shot? i was trying with my pc cam but its not very clear , thanks

#11 haken_zell

haken_zell

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

can you please tell me how to do a screen shot? i was trying with my pc cam but its not very clear , thanks

Hit "Print Screen" button on keyboard(while process tab is open), and then open MS Paint, go to Edit, and click Paste, then save it.. :thumbsup:

Edited by haken_zell, 06 January 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#12 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

this is with no programs running . i can always tell when its happening because system gets extremly slow. i dont get any error messages and evrything works but very slow.

#13 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

i was going to resend info because i noticed what i sent dosent show mem usage , but it seems i have already used up 505k of 512k that were allowed for attachments. unless there is a different way to send it? :thumbsup: lol

#14 Duah

Duah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

I noticed the same issues on mine even in safe mode it does it, but it shows 0% Cpu usage and acts like my comp is working like crazy you can hear it and see the activity light going crazy and it runs extremely slow. I have the same specs 2.8 ghz 1gb ram except mines a Dell Dim 2400.

#15 scorpio123

scorpio123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

new task manager Attached File  task_man.bmp   493.24KB   20 downloads this is with no programs running , cpu should be around 5% max

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users