Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rrichardson27

rrichardson27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have an HP m8330f with VGA/DVI/SVideo/HDMI outputs. I am currently running two monitors using the VGA and the DVI outputs. I now have a new plasma TV with HDMI inputs. I currently don't own any home theater equipment that supports HDMI, so I would like to hook up Plasma TV to my HP computer. I want to watch my movies and tv shows that are stored on my PC on the Plasma TV. Does anyone see a problem with this at all? I don't have an HDMI cable to test this out and I do not want to buy one and have it not work they way I want to. My computer came with a remote that lets me start up the Windows Media Center where I have all of my videos stored. The TV and the PC are in the same room so all I would need to do is run and HDMI cable from one to the other. Is it as simple as setting up the TV as a 3rd monitor? I don't want to "extend my desktop" onto the television, only use it when I want to watch my PC videos. Thanks for your help guys. Great site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

You should be able to watch content on your new plasma TV. That is, provided both the TV and the graphics card on the PC support HDCP. If the graphics card has an HDMI port, it will support HDCP by default. Almost all recent graphics cards have HDCP. Alternatively, you can get a connector, if you don't have an HDMI port, that will convert a DVI port to an HDMI one. If you do this, make sure it has HDCP pass-through.

3939.png

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

Another note according to CNET.com you don't need an expensive HDMI cable anyone that is long enough for your needs will be sufficient.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Indeed, most HDMI cables under about 6 feet usually perform the same. However, if you make long runs, you might want to invest in a better cable.

3939.png

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

What about long cable runs?
Like all cable types, signal strength deteriorates over long cable runs with HDMI. While there is no official "maximum cable" length determined by the HDMI Licensing group, they hint at 10 meters (about 33 feet) being the rough guide as when users may begin to experience problems. That's definitely not a hard-and-fast rule--we've had very few issues using a 65-foot HDMI cable from Accell in CNET Labs and Monoprice's 75-foot HDMI cable has positive user reviews. Cable quality isn't the only factor--the individual HDMI inputs and outputs on your HDTV and high-def components can affect signal quality over long distances too--so you'll need to experiment to see what works in your setup. Again, the best advice we can give is to make sure you buy from a retailer with a good return policy.

Credit: Cnetlabs

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users