Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft files patent for "Pay As You Go" Computing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

Much rage ensues.

Microsoft outlines vision of pay-as-you-go computing - CNN.com

The part that really gets me is the part where MS says that it will increase the overall cost for a computer, but they promise you'll get better performance. However, you can "defer" the payments till later.

Sounds like they'll keep you in debt for upgrading their computer. And there will always be upgrades and incremental improvements to increase the effective longevity of the product at a nominal premium.

Don't know about anyone else here, but when I buy something, I want to ****ing OWN it. I don't lease cars, and I'm sure as shooting not going to lease my computer to MS or anyone else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

Man, oh, man. Insn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

I'm with you DnDer, I want to OWN those things which I buy. I refuse to be "locked in" to any vendor, suppier, etc. for any reason. I highly doubt, for example, that Microsoft will be offering third-party applications or operating systems for these machines. No sir, you'll get Microsoft Windows (no Linux or Mac or BSD), Microsoft Office (no OpenOffice or AbiWord or Word Perfect), Microsoft Games (nothing but, unless you pay more), Microsoft Internet Explorer (no Firefox or Opera or Chrome for you!), Microsoft Money (goodbye Quicken, Quickbooks). And the list goes on. Goodbye Symantec or McAffee, hello Microsoft Live OneCare.

This is yet another move by Microsoft to enhance and solidify its monopoly of the operating system and software markets.

Even worse, since all your activities on the computer are metered it's not a big leap to assume that you'll be monitored as well. Restrictions on websites, applications, and other such things would likely be imposed (if not announced.) Programs and applications which haven't passed a Microsoft Certification program (which, like the MS Driver Signing program would likely be expensive) would be disabled.

What? you installed another operating system alongside MS Windows Craptacular Edition? Can't have that. Your computer has been disabled. Please report to the nearest Microsoft Re-Education Center for treatment.

Geez, this really gets my hackles up.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Even worse, since all your activities on the computer are metered it's not a big leap to assume that you'll be monitored as well. Restrictions on websites, applications, and other such things would likely be imposed (if not announced.) Programs and applications which haven't passed a Microsoft Certification program (which, like the MS Driver Signing program would likely be expensive) would be disabled.

Wait... So you're essentially saying this patent bypasses Net Neutrality just by existing?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

No. In this case, I don't think net neutrality enters into it. The restrictions are not on the internet provider level but on the user's machine. The internet at large would be unaffected (unless/until a significant percentage of internet users were using this system).

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

I see many court cases coming of this.

Morgoth Bauglir, I'm sorry, I mean Bill Gates, wants world domination.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

I'm a little confused.

Does this mean they give you a high-end computer, and based on what you actually use, you have to pay for it hourly? If this is true, I hate the idea... I guess it may be ok for someone who wants to only play games for an hour or two a week, but for the rest of us, it stinks. Of course, it's not like we would have to do..... or will we? :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey, I just read The Silmarillion. Go Tolkien! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users