Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebyte's found 20 malicious files including several copies of Trojan.Vundo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 trippinliddy

trippinliddy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hi there, this is my first post in a forum of any kind. I made the mistake of letting my daughter borrow my laptop over the weekend & it came back with several problems. First, when I turned it on & opened up the Firefox browser, it kept on successfully loading new pages of strange sites, anything from construction company's to tennis shoes. I noticed that she'd installed yahoo msgr but other than that I didn't see any new programs installed. When shutting down Firefox, a box popped up asking if I wanted to clear history which seems harmless but again, another new item I'd not seen before.

Then it got worse when I opened up Explorer. This browser also started a new page but kept going to what said a Microsoft site but didn't look legit & began trying to download a program for a freesafescan (AVG found the virus called fake alert) or something to that effect. It was trying to scan all the folders of my computer & was nearly impossible to get stopped & shutdown. Additionally, when spybot popped up asking if I wanted to accept or deny a change that was pure gobbledygeek to me, it would not let me choose deny. I kept trying to X out of everything & it wouldn't let me & ultimately the entire screen went black & the computer shut down & restarted itself.

I have never experienced something like this before & I'm an avid antivirus & maintenence user. I always update & use the most current versions of AVG, CCleaner, AdAware, SpyBot & Spyware Blaster. I run defrags every month. This simply blew me away & had me up all night. I found, installed & ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which detected & quarantined 18 various trojans & 2 Malware.Trace's. That helped a lot but not completely. Firefox is still attempting to open a new page without my prompting but then displaying it's inability to connect to that page & I'm terrified to open Explorer. Now I've installed & ran hijackthis & would love for someone to read my logfile (attached) & tell me which items to fix or remove. All good help will be much appreciated. Thanks, & Happy New Year!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trippinliddy

trippinliddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I wanted to add a few more details to my dilemma. Upon finding it this way & running the various anti virus & spy programs I also tried to do a system restore & it would not let me go back to a date any earlier than 3 days prior. I couldn't change months or anything & only that day & 3 days prior were bold. I did try to restore to the earliest date but without any success. Please let me know what I can do to get rid of these terrible bugs! Thanks a bunch!!! Lydia

#3 trippinliddy

trippinliddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

UPDATE: I ended up having my laptop formatted & just started over fresh. The problems wouldn't go away & seemed to reinstall themselves in multiple areas everytime I'd remove them so I'm over it now. Thanks anyways.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Sometimes it the best solution,thanks for telling us.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users