Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox problems!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I'm having a problem with Firefox that has been ongoing for months now. I have a laptop and desktop, both running windows vista 32bit with AVG and Zone Alarm firewall, and Firefox 3. My laptop started having issues connecting to the internet through IE so I switched over to Firefox and things were working great. I also switched to Firefox on the desktop so I had the same internet on both. For the past few months, when I try to click on the firefox logo, nothing happens and after doing this a few times, I have a pop up that says that Firefox is already running and I have to restart the computer. This happens more on the laptop, (about every other time I get online), than on the desktop. I've tried to "end process" in the task manager but it does not end. I've googled the problem and found that some people suggest it maybe a virus, especially if Firefox is running in task manager right away after turning the computer on, which it does not show up until I try to get online. I've also done all of the normal scans, Spyware Term., MalwareBytes, AVG, and Spybot, and they all show the computer is clean. I've uninstalled numerous times, and I've updated Firefox to make sure it is the newest. Its the same every time. I like Firefox and would like to stay with it but its become very annoying. Like this morning, I got on for the first time in probably 3 days and right away, the pop up came up and I had to restart. If anyone has any ideas, please help!

Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

Firefox may start up very slowly on some computers, the best thing to do is wait. The message shows up if you click the icon continuously. Also, try Process Explorer to see if you can end the process from there.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Okay, I'll try using patience! Thank you for the fast reply! What does ctrl-shift-esc. do? Does it blow up the computer, because that is how I'm feeling about it right now.
Thanks again
Dylan

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

I tried the patience route and it didn't help. I went to the laptop and Firefox was not showing up in task manager. I got online, but the page was very slow to load, so I closed Firefox. I then tried to reopen Firefox and when I did, it showed "Page load error" and would not work. I again closed Firefox but when I went to the task manager, it showed it was running and "end process" did nothing. I let it sit for 5 minutes to see if it would load but it didn't. Could Firefox not be shutting down correctly?

Edited by Dborns, 29 December 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

Restart your computer and before opening any programs, check task manager (Ctr+alt+delete, or ctr+shift+escape, no it doesnt blow up your computer :thumbsup:) and see if either firefox.exe or iexplore.exe are running.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

This is one of the symptoms of the trojan Backdoor BDS/PoisonIvy.20.A (and similar variants).
There are other things that you can check first, though.
Follow the instructions in this article, beginning with the section labeled, Legitimate explanations for the symptoms.
If that doesn't work, follow the directions in the rest of the article.

Firefox.exe always open
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

tg1991, I had that trojan (poison ivy), which is why I am telling him to check to see if either is running on startup :flowers: I would be happy to tell him how to manually delete it (the way I did it), but I am not yet qualified so I will leave that to you guys :thumbsup:

Edit: I just realized that is the same article I used to fix it for myself!!!

Edited by xblindx, 29 December 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Edit: I just realized that is the same article I used to fix it for myself!!!

Old article, old problem. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

WARNING The instructions in that article require editing the registry. NEVER make any changes to the registry without first backing it up.

Edited by xblindx, 29 December 2008 - 01:34 PM.

#10 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

To backup your registry in XP, just click File>Export and save it to somewhere safe.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#11 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. I restarted both computers and neither firefox or iexplore show up in task manager until I get online. I'll try the suggestions in "firefox.exe always open" and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Try that for now. Post back your results :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users