Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Professional 2002 service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lauriejeanne51

lauriejeanne51

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Okay I've just become a member today and I have a standalone office computer that is running very slow and sluggish. I'm considered pretty computer literate so in most cases I'm able to fix most of the computers issues myself. Yesterday I thought the first thing to be done was remove some of the programs that are installed that we no longer use. For instance I removed the google toolbar and the msn toolbar. I also removed an old Canon printer program because we have a newer HP printer. I removed some of the HP printer programs we have never accessed as well. I did a disk cleanup and removed the temporary internet files and the browsing history. Now I am ready to do the Disk Defragment but every time I get the progam openned and click on defragment or analize an error message with the red button and an X through it comes up and the message reads "Disk Defragment does not start". I tried rebooting the system but nothing worked. I also went to Microsoft Windows but there wasn't any solutions for my problem. I did a internet search and I read about various fixes but none were for this particular error message. I tried opening it from several locations on my C drive but every time the same error appeared. I browsed to see if there was a download to reinstall the Disk defragment file but to no avail. Is there someone with a solution to this error? I think if we could defrag the C drive most of the problems with the programs loading slowly would run better. The computer information is: Intel R Pentium R 4 CTU 1.5 GHZ. 1.49 GHZ 512 megabite of RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

You may be able to do a repair. Do you have a Windows XP Pro install CD?

Edited by xblindx, 29 December 2008 - 12:18 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

How large is the hdd, and how much free space do you have left? If you don't have enough swap space you won't be able to defrag the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lauriejeanne51

lauriejeanne51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

You may be able to do a repair. Do you have a Windows XP Pro install CD?

Yes I have the Windows XP Pro install CD

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

First answer dc3's questions.

How large is the hdd, and how much free space do you have left? If you don't have enough swap space you won't be able to defrag the hdd.

#6 lauriejeanne51

lauriejeanne51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly the hard disk drive (hdd) is 18.6 GB and the free space is 6.00 GB

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Have you tried to run Defrag in Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users