Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when trying to boot into Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

Yesterday I was using my laptop without any problem. All I was doing was playing a PC game that I had played many times before and then I visited a website about the rotation of the moon to resolve an argument amongst some people playing a quiz game at my home! I did not install anything that I am aware of and I shut down the laptop as normal.
Later I tried to turn on my laptop and about 40 seconds into the boot process and before it gets to the logon screen it comes up with the Blue Screen of Death which says the following:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The verification of a knownDLL failed, system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000020 (0x8c7003f8 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

The system then restarts and gives the option to go into Startup Repair mode. So I tried Startup repair and after several failed attempts to fix the problem it told me that the problem cannot be automatically repaired. I also ran a memory check and disk check and no problem was reported.
I also tried starting in safe mode and got the same BSOD. However, some information that may be useful that I got from trying to boot in safe mode is that the last driver to load before the BSOD is \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys. But it says this driver has Loaded so maybe that is not the one that causes the problem?

My Laptop is an HP Pavillion DV9689EA. All the specs are on the HP website if needed. I can post any information on here if requested.

I would really appreciate if someone can try to help me solve this issue without a complete system restore that wipes my disk. I understand that it may be possible to do a repair installation. Is that possible without a Vista disk? My system restore is provided on the hard drive under a seperate partition so I do not have the CD. Although having said that I think I created system restore disks when I first got the laptop and should have them.
I await your help with thanks!
Regards
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

What sort of Disk Check did you run? How did you get the software to run - was it something built into the system?

The 0xc0000020 status means that the media has changed - but from what and to what, we don't know.

STOP 0x21a errors are security errors - so malware must be considered first.

Do you have any way of scanning the hard drive to see if it's infected? If not, then try this boot disk which has some antivirus programs supplied with it: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If the system is infected, and if your cleaning removes the source of the error - Windows may boot up.

Please let us know the results of this so we can make further suggestions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

The disk check I ran was checking for disk errors. It was an option in the startup repair console menu.

Having searched alot on the internet for a solution I got impatient and decided to do a factory restore. That worked so I'm back up and running but without my data and photos of my 4 month old baby :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

I lost 3 years of work and my wedding photos to a hard drive failure.
Luckily the wedding photos were still on the camera.

I'd suggest making a scheduled backup of your data to an external device so that this doesn't happen to you again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users