Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a new Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

I bought a new whaley 250 GB HD. When I cabled it up and started my computer, XP found and installed the driver for it. Setup sees it as my Secondary Master. Control panel/System/Hardware says it's working fine. "My Computer" doesn't show it. This means I can't partition it nor format it. I know I'm overlooking something simple, but I have been overlooking it for the last 10 hours and would sure like someone to give me a clue.

Thanks,
KermitD
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 farky

farky

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:23 PM

Did your new drive come with a install Floppy or CD? If so you should try running it.
WIuld that be a Western Digital 250 GB drive from whaley.com that you bought?

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

Right click My Computer, select manage and look for disk management on the left, highlight it. Now look to the right for your new drive, right click it and partition it and/or format if needed. After this it should show healthy, you should now be able to "see" it in My Computer.

#4 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

I bought a new whaley 250 GB HD. When I cabled it up and started my computer, XP found and installed the driver for it. Setup sees it as my Secondary Master. Control panel/System/Hardware says it's working fine. "My Computer" doesn't show it. This means I can't partition it nor format it. I know I'm overlooking something simple, but I have been overlooking it for the last 10 hours and would sure like someone to give me a clue.

Thanks,
KermitD

I think you have your HD to the second IDE in the main board >Maybe wrong JL

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:48 AM

did you try the jumper settings on the HD? (if any)

beleive me that is THE simplest thing to overlook... and you can get quite embarassed if that is the problem...

Edited by legoman786, 18 May 2005 - 12:52 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

You have installed it fine, you just need to partition the drive wherupon the system will see drive letters (D: drive, E: drive, etc.) and then format the partition(s) so you can use them.
In the old days it was FDISK from a boot floppy, maybe that's been replaced by Disk Manager like QQQQ said - have to confess I've never tried it!
Look in your system help for partitioning a new hard drive - just make really sure that you have the right drive before you do anything to it!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:02 AM

Assuming your jumpers are correct and you've cabled correctly, did you go into the BIOS and have it search for your drive? Depending on your jumpers and cabling, it should search for Primary Slave or Secondary Master or something like that.

#8 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

In Win98SE it was done from DOS with FDISK and FORMAT. In WinXP it's done with Admin Tools, look for Storage or Disk Administration. Even though the BIOS will recognise the 233GB (real binary space on the 250GB-marketted drive), WinXP has not yet mounted it. Selecting the drive and adding one or more NTFS partitions (or adding an 8GB Win98SE partition to play legacy games on and making the rest NTFS storage) will be easy if you mount the drive with the Storage Admin tool.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users