Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop startup problems....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ladyluck

ladyluck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help.

My laptop's (Advent 8117 if that helps) been working fine, then this morning things went pear-shaped. To begin with things went fine - Everything seemed to load up as normal, I left the room for maybe 5-10 minutes and when I returned there was a black screen. I waited a while and nothing happened so I restarted.

It comes up with 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.'

It doessn't seem to matter what I click here because my 'Techguys' support thing comes up either way but now nothing on it works. To begin with I ran the Repair Environment, but it couldn't fix it. I also got to try a System Restore but I seem to have no points to restore to.

Now I can't get the Techguys page to do anything. So I tried running in Safe Mode but once again I'm faced with the unmoving Techguys page, and the same goes for when I try and load from the last working point.

The only thing I can think could be the cause is that a small ornament fell off a nearby shelf and caught my laptop. Could this have messed it up? It didn't fall far or hard. Would anything at all happen if this was the case?

I don't have any backup discs or a Vista Cd.

Any help on this would be much apreciated. I have no idea when it comes to this.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

I would suggest using a bootable hard drive diagnostic - it's available from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. This topic ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ ) contains links to the most common ones.

Since the Startup Repair didn't fix things (I presume that this is the Recovery Environment that you referred to) - then the issue is most likely with your hard drive (Startup Repair will fix issues with the Master Boot Record, Boot Sector, and the NTFS file system among other things).

If the hard drive passes the diagnostics, then the next most likely thing is a corrupted driver (with video drivers being the most common) - but installing a new driver if Windows isn't working is a real challenge.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users