Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running out of Space Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have a Issue with Space on the C: of one of my windows 2003 servers. I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to expand this with-out causing too much of a comotion. I have read that using a larger physical drive and Ghosting to that drive maybe the way to go. What do you all think? Is Ghost a simple enough tool as to where I can just drop in any SCSI hard drive, Run Ghost, Select copy drive to, "Bam it does it" then automatically sets it as the boot drive and deletes the original? If not it is all good, but what can Ghost do to help me out? Also are there other tools out there that can do this for Server 2003 with out screwing up the data on the the other partitions.

what is a windows.0 folder for?

How do I get rid of Netmeeting?I have tried the "official" windows fix but the dang thing keeping comming back?

I think I have cleared out the un important crap but if anyone has any ideas let me know. Also anyone know which Symantec Log files, definitions are needed, they are taking up Gig upon Gig on this machine.

Sorry if the question seems a bit multifasited but it is all related to the same issue of space on the C:

thanks

BleepingNetwork

Edited by bleepingnetwork, 29 December 2008 - 05:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:46 AM

WOW, what a question, but one that many people have asked and will continue to ask so I decid_edd to throw my FWIW answer in.
This answer assumes you have WK3 installed on scsi drives in some sort of array. And that you can perform complete backups and have the luxury of 'downtime' where the server can be offline while the work is done. Even with that this answer will be as generic as the question. And you will end up asking many more before it is all through.
Yes, you can buy bigger disks and image what you have onto them and it will work, most of the time.
My guess is the simplest way would be to wipe the data partition and expand the C drive onto the unpartitioned space.
Another posibilty is to buy bigger drives and let RAID work for you.
  • 3 disks Raid 5
    • In this arrangement you still have many choices such as what kind of partitions were originally configured, some work (for expansion) better than others.
    • Windows itself has a 'partition size changing' program, but they are quick to point out that it does not work on the 'system' drive. Opps
  • 4 disks mirrored
    this arrangement may be the easiest, but costly. Or it may not work at all.
  • JBOD
    Here we see the need to redo partitions, again. Or buy a bigger disk.
  • Server 'ROLES'
    If this server talks to other servers or applications there will be some foresight and repairing needed
  • Adding a disk
    this is what the business manager thinks is all you have to do and wonders what the fuss is all about.
  • There are many 'scenarios' and several 3rd party tools you can buy: what exactly is your budget? would be a great question. They are not often cheap.
The answer for you will lie in where your energies and skills take you. Do you want, for whatever reason, to add space to the C drive. Or would it be better to rebuild the server and then add it back in? Ghost works very well and is quite popular and I see it used everywhere. I have also seen it fail. No matter which route you choose there will be much required and more will be revealed as you work through the process. Good Luck and Have Fun.

Windows.0 usually is a second windows folder, perhaps a second installation exists on your server. Try this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888023

Netmeeting keeps coming back: don't you love windows and its auto everything? I have never dealt with this.

Cheers,
BleepingEddacker

#3 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

Man thanks for the reply, your advice Kicks booty. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic