Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet port doesn't seem to be working.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigt3098

bigt3098

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hello! Ive recently installed a new harddrive in my gateway laptop. I just hooked up a wireless router and was going to connect with it but the wireless router requires a setup disk to be ran first before it will even find the connection. It also requires to be hooked up to the net via ethernet cable so it can be registered so on so forth. I noticed that when I plugged the cord into the port there were no flikering lights. and I was unable to recieve the internet. I plugged the cord into my dell laptop and it works, so thats not the issue there are no yellow question marks on my device manager......these are the two things listed under network adapters...1) 1394 Net Adapter. 2) intel r Pro/Wireless 3945ABG network connection. Now my dell has those two things listed plus...Broadcom 440X 10/100 Intergated Controller.??? AM I missing this on my gateway is that why my ethernet port isnt working?...or is that something additional that shouldnt cause my port to not work. I hope this is enough info for someone to maybe have an idea why my port doesnt seem to work. Thanks a bunch!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The Broadcom is your onboard ethernet port.

IE 1394 is a firewire connection for ethernet.

The wireless is self-explanatory :flowers:.

The Broadcom port will not work until the appropriate driver for it is installed. The drivers for it should be obtainable from your drivers CD which came with your system...or as a download for your specific system from the website of Dell.

Once that driver is properly installed, you should be able to continue your wireless setup.

Louis

#3 bigt3098

bigt3098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Thank you! But like I said before it doesnt even say broadcom under network adapters on my gateway like it does on my dell...My gateway is the problem not the dell. There isnt a missing driver because broadcom doesnt even show up under device manager. DO i Even need it?...I just reformated my whole laptop with the most upgrated recovery cd from gateway for my laptop and the ethernet port still doesnt work. Under network connections there are only two not three....network adapter and wireless.......does anybody understand me!??...Im very sorry i explain this the best I can.....thanks!!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

What is the model number of the Gateway?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

My error for misinterpreting :thumbsup:.

Looking at Device Manager on the Gateway...there are no yellow or red markings by anything?

Louis

#6 bigt3098

bigt3098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

yes there are no question marks??? model mx6960

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users