Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:35 AM

Whenever I start up my computer in normal mode it goes to a black screen. I can get on safe mode networking and go on the internet. My computer screen was going black before I had any viruses. When I ran virus check nothing would come up. I then downloaded smitfraudfix and 6 viruses and they were qurantined. I have dowloaded CC Cleaner cleaned up everything I can and I have also downloaded Advance System Care and used everything with that. I am not computer savy so any help would be appreciated. I need to get into normal mode so I can use programs for my job. Thanks,

Snapdaddy99

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

It could also be a corrupt video driver that needs replaced
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

How do you fix that? Also, I ran a hijack log, would that help tell anything wrong with my computer? Thanks,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

To update/replace your video driver, you must go to the website of the system manufacturer (e.g., Dell, HP, eMachines, et alia) and download the current video driver for your system.

Then you remove the old driver via Device Manager and install the newer one.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#5 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Would you reccomend the Registary Wizard Repair to fix any of the hardware problems?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

What registry wizard would that be?

XP does not have such.

Personally, I don't recommend for anyone to even think about changing things in the registry...until they are very comfortable with understanding the complexity of the hardware, operating system, and software which we call...a system. Playing in the registry blindfolded is likely to result in something being deleted or damaged...which may be necessary for the proper functioning of XP.

When I make registry edits, I am very much aware that...things could go wrong, I could make a mistake and the result would be a system which would not boot or perform as previously.

I suggest that you try replacing your vid driver, as implied/suggested.

Louis

#7 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

I installed a new driver and I still have to boot up in safe mode with networking. Do you have any other suggestions? Is there any other information I could give you that would help?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

<<I need to get into normal mode so I can use programs for my job.>>

Don't you have an IT person in charge of your computers?

Louis

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

Yes, I do have an IT person but they won't be back for two weeks so I am trying to get this fixed myself.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

The problem with that...is that IT personnel are trained to protect/maintain company property...and you are not.

You may wind up doing more harm than good, particularly if you are running registry cleaners without really knowing what they are doing.

FWIW...

Louis

#12 snapdaddy99

snapdaddy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

I did this, after I did that the screen just stayed on a blue screen and I had to reboot, when I rebooted it would not let me boot the computer up, not even in the safe mode. Why did this happen?

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users