Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive just will not read/write

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hello again and thank you in advance,

XP Pro sp2
HP a1100y
Pentium 4 - 3.4Ghz
2048Mb Ram
C:\ 320Gb Sata - D:\500Gb Sata

I just installed a Sony DRU-810a DVD burner via the Master IDE channel (I have an HP DVD drive as a slave that works fine) and cannot seem to get it to recognize any disks whatsoever - even though it appears to be "working properly" in the Device Manager.

What is strange is if I open Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 and insert a blank DVD/CD it displays the correct type/size of said disk, but will not burn to it. Neither will it recognize any type of disk (DVD/software/music CD/Data CD) when simply inserted.

I've tried:
Updating the firmware - updating the drivers (although there really are none) - uninstalling the device(s) - changing the recording options (in properties) - changing the jumper settings - sfc scannow - changing the IDE ribbon - different brands of DVDs/CDs (all of them work on the HP, btw) - deleting the upper/lower filters - and connecting one optical drive at a time.

If I insert a disk, then try to open an Explorer folder, it just tells me to insert a disk.

I just pulled this Sony drive from another machine yesterday where it was performing flawlessly. That it can properly identify a blank DVD+R via BS7 (or Power ISO for that matter) has me thinking that there might be a fix that I'm overlooking.

Have I missed something?

Thanks again!
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

Bizzump...(gosh, I posted this last year and still no love [jk] :thumbsup: )

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hope this isn't too basic, but, did you properly set the jumper on the drive to Master?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

It sounds like it should, but just to be sure, can the system boot OK from a CD and/or a DVD in that drive?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Sorry, I was locked away in an asylum for an evaluation... :flowers:

Yeah - I tried all of them there jumper settings (starting with MA, then SL, CS)...

and No, this thing don't wanna boot from any disk(s) it seems...that means it's deady-dead-dead, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

Yessy-yes-yes. :thumbsup:

If the drive is seen in the BIOS, and that computer can boot from a CD/DVD when you're using the HP drive, but not the Sony drive, then the Sony is not able to read the disks. The "working normally" report in Device Manager means Windows can communicate normally with the drive's electronics. But Windows isn't involved when booting anyway, so we can conclude the drive isn't reading anything off the disks. The laser has probably failed, but a dirty laser lens can cause the same symptom, so if you haven't already tried cleaning, give it a go. If it gets it going, good, otherwise bin it.

Just as an afterthought, the jumper settings will only work if set correctly, but sometimes two drives just don't get along - have you tried the Sony alone as Master?

Edited by Platypus, 10 January 2009 - 03:36 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users