Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viral Overload

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Miss

Aussie Miss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have spent the last 6 weeks **trying** to remove viruses from this computer. I have followed the advice of other posters on this and other forums.

Having used Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner, SmitfraudFix, SDFix, VundoFix, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner and Norton 360 - I am ready to give up.

I had thought I was free of unwanted items and backed up my computer but I now fear this to has a virus.

My plan is to reformat the HD and re-install everything... I have a few questions regarding the way viruses etc get into our systems please.

I am under the impression that only executable files can install viruses - is this the case?? I don't want to lose my files but I don't want to be re-infected again the files are mostly word, excel, pictures and music.

I believe the vector for this virus was a "photo" "sent" by daughter no1's friend (her mum is rich and got a guy in to fix the problem and even he hasn't fix her computer so far). Unfortunately I had not gotten around to re-installing N360.

I am assuming there is something still around even though it cannot be detected because the computer is running slower than a wet weekend!!

Thankyou for any help anyone can offer - I must have offended someone upstairs because out of 6 computers only one is working!!!

Regards
Suzy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:50 AM

If you have run all of those without any luck, why don't you submit a HJT log before giving up?
The preparation guide is here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then post in the proper forum, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
The team is fairly busy so give them a few days or so to respond
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Aussie Miss

Aussie Miss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thankyou Mark,

This will actually be the third time I have tried to thank you and also send a HJT log.

The computer is a real pain. So much so that my hubby and I decided to purchase a new computer, at least we can get emails and will **hopefully** be able to fix the kids PCs in quicker time.

So I will venture forth - I am so sick of spending the holidays fixing computers!!!!!

Happy New Year to you and your family Mark and anyone else who reads this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users