Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 megs13

megs13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

I have an old Dell Inspiron 8200 that I used in college. It quit on me this summer. Now i'm thinking of either selling it as is, trying to salvage it and get some files off of it, or disposing of it properly. I have no money to take it in anywhere. What option do you think is best...

What happens is, it powers up and when it goes to start Windows XP Home Edition, I get a big blue screen and this ugly white font reading:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardward or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software."

Then it says to use safemode if necessary.

I have tried restarting and always get the same message. That is all i know how to try. I don't know what safemode is. There wasn't anything "new"-- hard or soft-- introduced to the computer in years. It probably doesn't have windows updates since about 2002. THANKS FOR READING! please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

There could be many reasons for this message, a corrupt drive, a virus, hardware failure, or Windows has had a fatal boot error. Check the Microsoft KB555302 article for more information. You can try reinstalling Windows XP, but if it is a hardware failure, it will not solve the problem.

Additional Resources:

MSGoodies.com - Fixing...
Computing.net - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error! PLEA
Tech Life - Unmountable...

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users