Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large widescreen monitor disadvantages?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

So I know someone who got a 28" monitor recently. It was nice but since everything was so big, you could notice the jpegedness (I made that word up. You know, the jpeg artifacts) and imperfections in websites and everything. The desktop icons looked pretty ugly when blown up so big. Even the entire firefox window. I had the person increase the resolution to the recommended resolution. Things look sharper now, but now things are a lot smaller.

So what do you guys think of that? I assume this is normal. Are large widescreen monitors all they're cracked up to be?

BTW- I plan to get a big monitor just like that one, but my plan is to use it mainly for gaming (racing games). The plan is to keep my existing monitor right where it is and continue to use that for everthing else but racing games.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Yes, this is inevitable. As the size of the individual pixels become larger, the image cannot help but appear "blocky" - pixelated.

Running any monitor at its native resolution is the way to achieve the most accurate representation of the screen contents. There will always be a trade-off between how much desktop space is available (how much you can fit onto the screen) and how large individual components of the desktop (icons, text) appear.

If things look too small at a comfortable viewing distance, changing the DPI of the display in the Video Properties gives less "jaggies" than changing to a lower resolution. But not everything displays perfectly at a different DPI, eg icons may lose some definition.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

This is perfectly normal. To reduce "jaggies" do what Platypus suggested. You can notice the same thing when watching a standard DVD on a monitor with a high resolution, it upscales and appears blocky. I say 24 inches is a good size for me, any larger and I have to move my head to see everything on the screen.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users