Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive wont connect to 360

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 boobaloo

boobaloo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

ok. i dont know if you guys can halp with topics involving game systems, but i thought id give it a shot. i recently purchased a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB external hard drive to store all my movies on. before i had this hard drive, id always put a movie on my little 2GB flash drive, put it in my 360, it would show up as a portable device, then i could just access the movie on my 360 and watch it on my TV. so i figured the same method would apply with this hard rive. put the movies on and watch the on the 360. however when ever i plug the 500GB hard drive into the 360, no portable device it detected. how can i make my 360 detect the hard drive so i can watch movies on it? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

What are you referring to as your 360?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Just a thought...that drive is formatted NTFS, while I believe that a typical flash drive is formatted FAT32.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-3-...K/dp/B000ND75C0

Maybe the 360 cannot see it, just as Win 9x systems cannot see NTFS file system partitions.

If that's it, you can always reformat the drive to FAT32.

Louis

#4 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

so how do i go about reformatting the ENTIRE drive to FAT32?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

a. You can delete the existing NTFS partition, then format a new partition with the FAT32 file system...using Disk Management in XP or an XP CD.

b. You can use a utility like Partition Magic 8.0 to convert from NTFS to FAT32, http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Edit: Waiting for more information.

Edited by dc3, 30 December 2008 - 08:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

sorry dc3 i was referring to the xbox 360.

and hamluis, i cannot format a space bigger than 30 GB to fat32, and the hard drive is 500 GB. what do i do?

Edited by boobaloo, 31 December 2008 - 12:29 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

FWIW, from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463:

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

Louis

#9 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

what do they mean by "use the NTFS file system to format it"? im not sure what theyre telling me. and i have no idea where to obtain 98 or Me startup disks.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

<<...what do they mean by "use the NTFS file system to format it"?>>

Preceding sentence explains it...."but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup."

They are saying that...anyone who needs to create a partition larger than 32GB AND install XP on said volume...using the XP CD format tool...cannot do so. Hence the suggestion to use NTFS as the file system, if such is the case.

Other means of formatting a FAT32 volume in excess of 32GB...in preparation for an install of XP...are available (e.g. Partition Magic or Win 9x boot disks using FDISK), but the format tool available on the XP CD cannot do the job.

Louis

You can download Win 9x boot disks from (among various places) http://www.bootdisk.com/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#11 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

ok, thank you guys. i found a nice little program that formatted all 500 GB in 19 seconds flat. the drive is now FAT32 and works perfect with my 360. thanks again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

Glad you solved it, Happy New Year, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 steveh8204

steveh8204

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

ok, thank you guys. i found a nice little program that formatted all 500 GB in 19 seconds flat. the drive is now FAT32 and works perfect with my 360. thanks again.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but wasn't sure about starting up a new one the same.

What program did you use to format the drive as FAT32?

And if I reformatted the drive to FAT32 does anyone know if this would cause problems with using it with Windows 7 on a 64bit computer.

I have an external drive (500gb) which I want to use with my Xbox 360. I don't want to install an operating system on it just use it to access files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users