Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probelm with my switch router and dsl

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JakeMoore

JakeMoore

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Ok, i recently bought a 4 port Lynksis Switch Router for my dsl connection. The model number is NR041, and i am having problems connecting to the internet when i have my modem hooked up to the switch router. I popped in the disk and followed the instructions and then at the end it says "congratulations, you have set up your switch router. We will now test your internet connection" so it closes that window and tries to access the internet. but nothing happens. This is how i have it set up.

Posted Image

i used the actual pictures, just incase..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

Nice picture. With my service provider, and my router, I have to manually type in my username and password into the router and define the connection type.
To do this, I put the router address into my browser, log into the router, and configure it with my ISP setting. Did you do this? If so, can you double check your settings within your router?

Joshuacat
:thumbsup:
JC

#3 JakeMoore

JakeMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

i don't know the router address, and i don't know how to find it... :thumbsup:

but once i figure that out, i can configure it. thank you

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

It would be in your manual along with the default password.

I also have a Linksys router. My address is 192.168.1.1. There is no default username, and the default password was admin. This might be the standard for all Linksys equipment.

If you typed in Ipconfig from your command prompt, it will tell you what the default gateway address is.

Edited by Joshuacat, 17 May 2005 - 10:07 PM.

JC

#5 JakeMoore

JakeMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

thanks, i got the gateway and stuff, but my manual doesnt say how to get the router address

//edit

when i type in the "default gateway" into my browser, it sends me to this page, which setus up my normal modem.

Posted Image

Edited by JakeMoore, 17 May 2005 - 11:40 PM.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:00 AM

Part of your image got blanked out.

Verify the the switch/router is OK.
Take the DSL modem out of the picture(disconnect the ethernet cable from the WAN port) With the connection from your computer to the switch/router, try another LAN port? Is there a light indicating that you are connected? Can you ping the switch/router now, or can you now connect to the switch/router with your browser?

With the steps above, make sure that you poweroff the switch/router after your changes.... Turn it back on... Wait a few seconds before trying to get you computer to connect to it again.

Once you get the switch/router working and you can see it, connect your DSL modem back up again.

Have looked at their support page?
Support Page

Also, check out their Quick Install guide on the same page.

Let us know.
Joshuacat
JC

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

You have to have the modem connected to the WAN port, not to one of the switch ports. Have you checked this?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 JakeMoore

JakeMoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

lol yeah, for the WAN port it has in big letters 'INTERNET' lol, and so i plug the modem into there

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:40 AM

Have a look at Linksys Easy Answers. You need to configure your Router for PPPoE to use DSL, if thats what your using.

On this page and the following pages there are some ISP specific settings that you can check.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users