Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video conversion/codecs needed for vista 64bit ultimate ed.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KateJ123

KateJ123

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Does anyone know of a video conversion software or codec i could use so that my vista 64bit ultimate edition can view my current .wmv files in media center? i keep getting an error when trying to playback some of my current .wmv files that 'codecs are needed to play this file'. i've looked online for the proper codecs that i do need but the ones i've downloaded haven't helped. i looked back about 5 pages and the only threads i found dealing with this talked about downloading codecs for divx and avi playback, which i can understand as MC wasn't intended for avi files. i honestly don't understand the issue with wmv files, though.

i've never had a problem playing wmv files in media center before. after some research, i started understanding a bit more about the difference between 32 and 64 bit, in terms of video, but some of it is still confusing.

i *think* the reason they aren't playing is because, originally, on my old XP system, the videos were mostly avi format, which i then used a converter (like magic video converter) to make wmv so that i could watch them in media center. i also used video editors to cut out commercials. so i think converting them using the 32 bit software made it so that the files can only be read by 32 bit media centers. i could be totally wrong but that's my newbie guess. i can still watch them using VLC but i like the convenience of my media center and it's been a pain having entire video folders that i can no longer watch because of this issue.

any help is appreciated! for what it's worth, i've already tried both klite's codecs (the 64bit version) and the 'Shark007' codecs available on softpedia and so far nether have worked. being a newbie, i could just be doing something wrong. Has anyone else had this problem with wmv videos not playing?

Edited by KateJ123, 28 December 2008 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users