Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

Alright so i have a Asus P5GDC Deluxe mobo with an Intel P4 3ghz 800mhz FSB. I've only got 1 gig of ram but plan on upgrading to two sets of DDR2 ram, and now here comes my question.

I want to see about overclocking my system. I have the option to overclock well over 800mhz FSB and it has ssomething to do with the ram too. I'm assuming that RAM and CPU go hand in hand when overclocking. Well my question is...what kind of ram should i be looking into purchasing? Just trying to get some ideas on what people might think...

Thanks!!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

The slowest ram you can use with that processor without bottlenecking it is DDR2 400mhz. If you're going to overclock though, getting faster is recommended. With the prices of 667mhz ram and even 800mhz ram these days, you might as well get at least 667mhz.

You want the fsb of your processor, divided by four (it runs in quad-data rate), to be equal to or less than the frequency of the ram divided by two (dual-data rate, DDR). That's why the minimum you would want your ram to run at is 400mhz when paired with an 800mhz fsb processor. It's a good idea to get faster ram than 400mhz so you don't bottleneck the processor, or overwork your ram overclocking it to not bottleneck the processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users