Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection problem win XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RhondaB

RhondaB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi. A friend is having a problem with her computer. I have the computer at my house now. I will try to be as brief as possible but hopefully giving you information you need. AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.60 Ghz, 480 MB RAM, no conflicts showing in device manager.

The problem started about 2 weeks ago. One day she was not able to connect to the internet. She said she hadn't downloaded anything or done anything different to cause it to happen. She uses the local cable company to connect. When I got the computer here I tried to connect using my dialup. It showed the connection speed but the bytes sent & received were very small numbers & stopped. When I tried to open a browser the browser would hang. I tried going back using a restore point. Didn't work. I went back over a month & still the same problems. AVG scan didn't show anything infected.

She was using IE. I put firefox & opera on the computer & they do the same thing. When I open a browser first (before connecting) it hangs & I can't get it to go through with the connection & usually have to turn the computer off manually because ctrl/alt/del won't work to restart it. Just a little while ago I connected with the dialup, dbl clicked on firefox, the hour glass shows as busy, nothing happens, hour glass goes away. I tried it a few times. Same thing. It will not open any browser until I restart the computer again. I'm not sure what other information you may need. I will check back later to see if anyone has replied. Rhonda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hi Budapest ~ Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your instructions. Everything went fine. Then after the last reboot, I connected through my dialup, then went to open a browser & same thing. Browsers won't open. Bytes sent/received only went to a certain number & stopped. Any other ideas?

#4 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

Also, I shut the computer off. But then it was showing an error. XPCOM: Event receiver. Wanting to end program. It showed the blue bar like it is ending it, but then it comes up with another error screen that the program was not responding. I had to click for it to end now. The computer just hung with the background showing but no icons. I had to hold in the power button to shut it off.

Edited by RhondaB, 28 December 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the XPCOM error.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

WOW I was coming back to bump this up. It didn't notify me that anyone had replied & I was trying to be patient. Maybe because it was moved? Anyway.. I will check the even viewer & be back on later tonight. Rhonda

#7 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

I lost connection as soon as I had replied earlier. I just now read the link on how to use the event viewer for how to get several errors to post. So, since I am here... I will post the info from the event viewer for 1/3/09. If the others are needed I can go get those also.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 1/3/2009
Time: 5:53:27 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-E7201C32B7
Description:
The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 7009
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 7026
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Time: 5:35:31 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Time: 4:45:59 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Event Source: Windows Update Agent
Event Category: Software Sync
Event ID: 16
Time: 4:47:00 PM
Description:
Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Data:
0000: 57 69 6e 33 32 48 52 65 Win32HRe
0008: 73 75 6c 74 3d 30 78 30 sult=0x0
0010: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 20 0000000
0018: 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44 UpdateID
0020: 3d 7b 30 30 30 30 30 30 ={000000
0028: 30 30 2d 30 30 30 30 2d 00-0000-
0030: 30 30 30 30 2d 30 30 30 0000-000
0038: 30 2d 30 30 30 30 30 30 0-000000
0040: 30 30 30 30 30 30 7d 20 000000}
0048: 52 65 76 69 73 69 6f 6e Revision
0050: 4e 75 6d 62 65 72 3d 30 Number=0
0058: 20 00 .

Event ID: 7000
Time: 4:46:08 PM
Description:
The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event ID: 7009
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

Event ID: 7026
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

I had already checked device manager. There were no conflicts showing at all.

#10 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

Well.. thanks anyway for trying to help. I will try somewhere else.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Sorry for not replying - I overlooked this thread.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically. Report back what it finds. You'll find the log in the Application category of the Event Viewer under an entry called "winlogon".

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 RhondaB

RhondaB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

That's ok. I decided to just unhook everything & let her deal with it. lol Thanks for your help. Rhonda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users