Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe - Application Error at Start-up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rickschlau

rickschlau

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

Unfortunately, I have been plagued by a problem recently that I am unable to figure out nor fix on my own - so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Basically, at start-up (or reboot) the desktop shows up normally but a second later the screen flickers and I get an error message that reads:

Explorer.exe - Application Error
The intruction at "0x734305be" cannot be read

It is ALWAYS the same memory address!

Then, Spybot, and SpywareGuard icons disappear from the notification area (next to clock) although they seem to be running when I check the task manager. I will intermittently get the same error message as listed above after this when I click on icons on the desktop - although the programs will open!!

The other side effect I have noticed is that my PC is alot slower. CPU usage seems to be all over the place but I have seen it hitting 100% when I check the task manager.

I have scanned for Spyware, Viruses etc. and come up with nothing! No browser hijacks, search page is fine, No pop-ups etc.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful because I am so sick and tired of having to reinstall OS!

Background to my present config:
Compaq Presario 2550CA Laptop - updated
Partitioned in C: (OS only), D: (Programs only), and E: (Personal files)
Win XP Pro SP2 (SP2 Downloaded from MS) - updated
MS Office XP - completely updated
AVG Home Free - updated
SpyBot - updated
Ad-Aware - updated
SpywareBlaster - updated
SpywareGuard - updated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

See if these find anything:

Please run two online virus scans:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
http://www.kaspersky.com/service?chapter=161739400#betatest

Then let us know if its working better and what the scans found.

#3 rickschlau

rickschlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hi Grinler:
I will do the scans...
but I have scanned my Laptop to the hilt using
Panda
Symantec
Bitdefender
Trend
AntiVir
Avast

And they always come up clean!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

Click on start, then run, and type msconfig and press enter. CLick on the startup tab, and click on disable all. Then press ok and reboot. is the error gone? Now start enabling the items again one by one until the error comes back. Then you know the problem entry.

#5 rickschlau

rickschlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

Good morning Grinler:

I ran the 2 scans you asked me to - CA came up clean and Kaspersky (after 10+ hours to scan less than 40GB!) found a virus named Virus.DOS.Terronia.2538. BUT I am certain that it was a false positive because it was in a DLL file from the Panda ActiveScan folder. I deleted it anyway.

I also tried your suggestion of disabling all startup entries. The error immediately shows up after every reboot.

So... I'm still in Laptop Hell :thumbsup:

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Have a great day,
Rick

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:03 PM

Did you try to boot into safe mode?
JC

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,584 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like you may have a conflict with your protection. Since Spybot's Teatimer and SywareGuard do basically the same thing--preventing changes to the registry-- start troubleshooting there first.

I would disable TeaTimer and Spyware Guard thru the programs' GUI, reboot, then see if that helps. If not, uninstall both. Clean up stray files, I believe there are some files for Spybot in Application Data, and then reinstall one if the uninstall makes the error go away. I would lose SpywareGuard. What it does has been included in a bunch of other security apps now, and its usefulness as a standalone app has about come to an end I think.

Let us know how you make out.

Edited by Papakid, 18 May 2005 - 01:27 PM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

The intruction at "0x734305be" cannot be read

This seems to be an issue with SpywareGuard. You need to uninstall that program. Navigate in Windows Explorer (in safe mode) to your Program Files/SpywareGuard folder and run unins000.exe. If it won't uninstall you need to stop the process "sgbhp.exe" first. You can do that by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and going to the Running Processes tab. Then try unins000.exe again. If that doesn't work just reinstall the program.

Post back and let us know if that works.

Edit - I see PK had the same idea at the same time. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 18 May 2005 - 01:30 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

Nice find guys

#10 rickschlau

rickschlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Good morning Grinler, Leurgy, PapaKid and Joshuacat:

The problem seems solved by the removal of SpyGuard!! Thanks Guys!!

Still find it strange since SpyGuard worked just fine with everything else for weeks and then all of a sudden mayhem.

You guys were really helpful and thanks for all your input. I hope I can contribute back to the BC Community in the future.

I still have some performance issues and some smaller tweaks I'd like to work through soon... but not this weekend!! This weekend is a long weekend here in Canada (Victoria Day) and as of this afternoon I'm heading up to the cottage with friends until Monday night. A 4-day weekend and ou can imagine what that means :thumbsup:

I wish you ALL a great weekend,
Rick

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,584 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Good morning Rick. Glad to hear it worked out and thanks for posting back.

Hard to say why this suddenly cropped up, but I've heard of and experienced stranger things.

You guys were really helpful and thanks for all your input. I hope I can contribute back to the BC Community in the future.

You're welcome and we will be looking forward to your input. :thumbsup: Are you any good with hardware? We could use some more help in that area.

In the meantime have a great Victoria Day! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. A four-day weekend in a cottage with friends... :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :)

Edited by Papakid, 19 May 2005 - 10:49 AM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users