Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free adware/spyware remover

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TISHAnHOSS

TISHAnHOSS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

My computer is running so slow..did all the clean up I have..downloaded a couple "free" removers..and they found hundreds of things..but once I tried to remove them I needed to purchase the program..my question is..is my computer really infected with all this stuff or is that a way to get you to purchase the remover..when I use all my other cleaners I do not find what they do..if anyone knows of a legit free remover plse let me know..thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hey there TISHAnHOSS, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

There are numerous "rogue" anti-malware programs out there. The MO for these rogues is to "find" tons of baddies all over your machine, then charge you to remove them. Sometimes, they even install malware on you computer.

Luckily, there are a lot of good free anti-malware programs available to you. Bleeping Computer maintains a list of Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps and at the top of the list are anti-virus, anti-spyware, and other security programs. You can find the list at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3616 . All the programs listed there are known to be good and clean and offered by legitimate organizations.

I would recommend installing an anti-virus program (don't use more than one anti-virus app as they will conflict with each other), one or more anti-spyware/adware programs, and a firewall program. Personally, I use Avast! Antivirus Home, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Comodo Firewall, all of which can be found on the list.

Once you've installed these, run scans with each one (except the firewall) in turn. Any issues that you actually have will likely be taken care of. If you have any lingering problems, post a new topic in the appropriate forum for help.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 28 December 2008 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users