Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps crashing. No BSOD, just a sudden restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jc27141

jc27141

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hey, this is my first post. I'll try to follow the rules as best as possible.

Recently I bought a new Processor, Mobo and memory. Upgraded to a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz(Overclocked @ 3.28, with an aftermarket heatsink it never goes over 65c under full load, GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R and 2 sticks of OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066. I installed both and reinstalled windows over my old installation (Note i did not reformat). Everything seemed to work correctly and i wasnt crashing at all. As recently as a couple of days ago I have been hearing clicking noises coming from my case. At first i thought it was one of the new fans i installed, but it later dawned on me that it could very well be my Hard-drives (one 75g WD raptor and one 150g WD raptor). Couple days later my computer starts to crash while playing World of Warcraft. It doesnt happen on a regular basis, it seems to only happen when the computer is under stress. Occasionally I will leave my computer running wow but turn off the monitor, i'll turn it back on a couple minutes later and it will cause my computer to crash again. each time it restarts I get this error code from a window that pops up saying windows recovered from a serious error:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E2C3F00A BCP2 : 00000008 BCP3 : E2C3F00A
BCP4 : 00000002 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

I have an old Sapphire x1950 PRO card in, plan on upgrading to a Sapphire HD 4850. I thought it might be due to an old video card, but i'm seriously thinking my hard drives are failing. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi jc27141, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The clicking noise is a classic, it is known as the click of death. If you are having trouble identifying which hdd is the culprit you can take a long handled wooden or plastic kitchen spoon and place the spoon end against your ear and use the other end to press against each drive, you will be able to tell very quickly which one it is. You can go to the manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool, you will need to burn this to a CD so that you can boot from it. You may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. If these are SATA drives, just unplug the drive that isn't being tested, if it is connected via a IDE data cable then you will want to disconnect the drive that isn't being tested and make sure that the other drive is connected to the Master connector (the one on the end, not the middle), and that the jumper on the rear of the drive is in the Master position.

You say that you didn't reformat the hdd prior to installing the OS, how did you install the OS then?

If you aren't sure that this is a fresh installation there is another consideration, and that is what happens when you take a hdd the has Windows installed on it and introduce it to another motherboard. This usually has bad results, there are aspects in the registry that recognize the chipset of the motherboard. When you introduce another motherboard the OS will recognize the new chipset and become confused, this can result in requiring a fresh installation of the OS. This is overly simplistic, but you get the idea.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jc27141

jc27141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

I didn't reformat the HDD prior to installing the new Motherboard, it already had Xp on it, so i read somewhere that all you have to do is reinstall windows on the HDD and the motherboard will work fine. Does that makes sense?

Edited by jc27141, 28 December 2008 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users