Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safety of BC?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

How can I be sure that this site is secure and that no harm is being done to my computer? I have tried looking for the verifications of this site's reliability and I cannot find a lot.

Thanks,
Quevvy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

If this is a main concern, Why didn't you ask that 6 months ago?
Just a thought
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

As someone who joined during the malware olympics (August 2008) I can tell you a couple things (and I am not a techie):

I have never been swamped from spam that suggests this site is infected with spambots; I have been from other sites.

The very few ads that have been posted here are very plain, in type-face and not with elaborate colors or movement, so they are unlikely to be infected with Java or Javascript, which is a problem with a lot of legitimate sites.

This site does not bring my firewall down when I log in.

Just my 2 cents worth (adjust for inflation).

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

If this is a main concern, Why didn't you ask that 6 months ago?
Just a thought

Heck, make that 1 year and 6 months ago!

My opinion - the site is safe and the help it provides on the Internet is second to none.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Not only is this site safe, but the Mods here patrol it to keep it so.

Try spamming us and see what happens. Ooops, you'll never see the result.....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

I notice that no one has given a straight answer but only their opinions...

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

Point blank!

Read our board. Staff and advisors are trusted!

Find another site if you will/choose to do so.

This topic is now closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

I reopened this topic.

Yes this site is safe. Then again, how can you trust what we say is the truth? ;)

Instead, maybe you should see what others have to say:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.bleepingcomputer.com
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bleepingcomputer.com
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/9125/your-bleeping-computer-experience/

My suggestion. Just look through the site. I think you will find that we are not only safe, but an incredible resource for a computer user.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

We prefer not to reveal the procedures that are in place
Why shoot ourselves in the foot

Edited by garmanma, 28 December 2008 - 08:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Oh, I forgot to ask. You are a norton/symantec user, right? Is that why you think we are unsafe?

#11 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

If his isp is Earthlink, he would be using Norton/Symantec by default unless he chose to download other programs.

I have been looking to change from EL. Not only do they charge for security that didn't do a great job this summer, there have been a number of questions raised about the quality of Norton/Symantec, which once was quite good.

But Windows update downloads and Google have also been having a lot of problems recently.

I should think that if malware designers wanted to target sites, they would target the ones for major newspaper or political blogs that get a lot of traffic and have many, many ads. It would be too easy to track a hacker down from a site like this one. They keep it plain and simple (to my untrained eye).

One thing I have noticed, however, is that if you are not a business, but a home user, and you use the encryption and java disabling add-ons to an extreme (which I have done), some sites will make it very difficult for you to access them. The sites will assume that you mean them ill, when perhaps you are being excessively cautious. They have automatic protections. If they can't read your site properly, those sites won't let you on. But sometimes it is your security software that won't let you enter those sites. So I have been trying to learn how to use my add-ons properly. But sometimes your security settings will be changed by the regular updates from your browser and your search engine. What they believe you should keep transparent and what secure will not be the same as you believe on those matters.

Also, remember that at this time of year the internet is overloaded and cannot handle all the traffic, plus some popular sites will be likely targets for hackers and malware designers. Where has your browser been lately?

I am suggesting this because you have even less info on your technical profile than I do. In my case it is because of technical ignorance, near-sightedness, creaky bones and procrastination.
t

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 28 December 2008 - 09:36 PM.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

FWIW

I have been using this site daily for years and have never experienced the slightest problem.

Cheers.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 Jat90

Jat90

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

Here is what Norton thinks of BC:

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=...ingcomputer.com

Following Grinler's links and everybodys input I'd say you are pretty safe :thumbsup:
- Jat90 -

If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, then please feel free to send me a message.

Posted Image

#14 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

I notice that no one has given a straight answer but only their opinions...

As a humble members we can only give you our opinions, it is safe.
If you Don't trust the Admins and Mods opinions, who can trust Quevvy?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

Is this site safe? Yes. Why? Because I say so!

Seriously, surfing the web is a dangerous activity. And you just can't take anyone's word for what they say/do.
But this isn't an issue about how safe the site is, but rather it's an issue of trust.

If we earn your trust, you'll feel safe here.
And trust is a hard thing to earn - the best way being repeated good behavior and intentions.

How do you determine that? Well, that's not easy - but there are varying degrees of trust.
You've given a bit of trust in just venturing out into the Internet.
Beyond that you've gotta decide for yourself.

Place your trust wisely, and you'll come out OK
Place it poorly, and you'll stand to lose a lot.

Finally, Google is your friend. Google around and read enough and you'll get a pretty good picture of the status of what you're googling. For example, google for "Bleeping Computer" and you'll get a lot of good stuff with comparatively little bad stuff. Then do research on those giving good stuff and on those giving bad stuff - eventually you'll be able to narrow it down in such a way that it answers your question.

Good luck and safe surfing! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users