Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What music download service would be recommended?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nogard1126

nogard1126

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

I've used Lime Wire in the past. After talking with a computer guy at work I don't want to use it any more. I've also used Napster, but didn't like it. I would have problems with the licenses then songs would not sync or copy to an external device.

I'm looking for something the charges per song with no monthly fee. Or better yet something with just a monthly fee.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

I have head positive things about Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=...sl_71g7zjo3a7_b
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 blackchaos93

blackchaos93

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Well you can always try out Rhapsody or iTunes :\.
I hate my life :(

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

You might consider Pandora. Its not a download service but it streams music. You create unlimited personalized channels of a particular Musician or Genre and it plays that and other probable compatible matches. I get the service free through Squeezebox along with a whole host of other music services. I use this device to stream my music collection wirelessly throughout my home.

Just another option to ponder,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Got my son a zune for x-mas and a couple of i-tunes gift cards. I-tunes reqiured the down load & install of there software to purchase music and such(no big deal), but all the music is down loaded in M4P format, that is media player and zune incompatable. From what I read on the net m4p is a movie file format.(looked up files on pc and found em as movies)
I ended up purchasing a protected music converter prog. and It works pretty slick. I tunes Is said in some relms to have the largest content available do to the protection it offers to the content providing companies. Of cource all this protection is to the end users dispaire, in that once you buy it you would think putting said tracks on burned cd, mp3 player, any of your own stuff should be fine.
At any rate, the converter cost 19+ usd and Ive used it with great results.
Earlly versions of I-tunes software allowed users to burn to a cd then re import to the prog in mp3 but our newest vers seems to have nixxed that funtionallity. Best wishes
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

A lot of my friends use Emusic. It's sort of a subscription service, but different from Rhapsody in that the music doesn't "disappear" if you cancel your subscription, and there's no DRM so you can play them on virtually any player.

Basically you sign up to pay a certain fee each month and that gives you the right to download a certain number of songs each month. If you don't download all the songs you're entitled to, you lose the unused credits and the next month starts from scratch -- they don't carry over. They're heavy on indie rock and not very good with commercial hits. You should be able to look around to see if you'll use them enough to make it worthwhile. The music files are simple MP3s with no DRM, so if you decide to discontinue, you keep the music you bought. most of their plans work out to substantially less than Itunes on a per song basis.

I'm pretty sure you can look around their site to see what artists/music they carry, and they always have some sort of promotion going on.

Anyway, I don't use Emusic myself -- I prefer Amazon (I'm not a big downloader), and for holidays I always wind up with Itunes cards -- but I hang out on several music boards and, as I said, a lot of my friends like Emusic.

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

Got my son a zune for x-mas and a couple of i-tunes gift cards. I-tunes reqiured the down load & install of there software to purchase music and such(no big deal), but all the music is down loaded in M4P format, that is media player and zune incompatable. From what I read on the net m4p is a movie file format.(looked up files on pc and found em as movies)
I ended up purchasing a protected music converter prog. and It works pretty slick. I tunes Is said in some relms to have the largest content available do to the protection it offers to the content providing companies. Of cource all this protection is to the end users dispaire, in that once you buy it you would think putting said tracks on burned cd, mp3 player, any of your own stuff should be fine.
At any rate, the converter cost 19+ usd and Ive used it with great results.
Earlly versions of I-tunes software allowed users to burn to a cd then re import to the prog in mp3 but our newest vers seems to have nixxed that funtionallity. Best wishes

I am glad it worked out well for you. For others that might be in need - dbpoweramp is a good free conversion app.

Regards,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Wow, cool freeware. I should of done more searchin I suppose. Hind site 20/20. Thanks
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#9 ayaneforever

ayaneforever

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

for legal stuff, iTunes and Amazon mp3 are pretty awesome. For the *not so legal* stuff, even though this is kind of obscure, try playlist.com. they have the link to where the actual mp3 is, and it's always in 128 KB bitrate or higher. Or, using the playlist method, you could use downloadhelper (firefox addon) and it sees the mp3 file you're playing through playlist and you can download it that way. It's kind of a pain, but pretty virus proof.

Edited by ayaneforever, 26 January 2009 - 08:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users