Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SYSTEM RESTORE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MCB

MCB

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

Since my grand daughter was using my computer yesterday I have loads of pop ups coming up with people wanting to chat. There are about 36 new additions to my address book which I've tried to delete but they keep coming back.

I've tried to do a system restore but for some reason it comes up with a message saying it can't restore.

Any ideas please? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ErinW

ErinW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

I'm no expert, and I am new to this forum. But depending on what IM program she was using, you can block others from seeing when you are online, and block unknown people from contacting you. There should be an option within your IM program for privacy.

I don't think you need to do a system restore for your IM problem, however, you may want to scan for viruses, since many viruses will erase restore dates. Also, your computer will refuse to restore to any date that had an infection, which is what this sounds like.

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

. Also, your computer will refuse to restore to any date that had an infection, which is what this sounds like.

That is incorrect. Your computer doesn't know if it has an infection, which is why you need to run anti-malware programs and clear your system restore points if you were infected. If you try to restore to an infected point, it will succeed. It would/should only fail if some of the files in the system restore point are corrupt or other similar issues.

Edited by xblindx, 28 December 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

If you want to let the kids use a computer, keep them away from yours. Not only are there problems like this, but there are also unseen issues where malware will steal your personal information - including your bank account and credit card info.

Try a couple of the free, online scans in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
At the bottom of that page are instructions on what to do if you find you're infected - or if the scans won't run.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

But the kiddies got to have their fun :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users