Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing the drivers on a Dell Laptop...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MistyC

MistyC

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hi Okay I have googled & googled & tried ones that were not set for ME. And I can not figure it out...

It is a Dell Inspiron 1100
Service tag: C83QH31
Windows XP Pro service pack 3

He did A Clean format on the HD and reinstalled windows.

Well now the ethernet drivers are no longer installed nor the sound.

When I go into the Device manager under other devices there is a Yellow ? In front of the "Ethernet Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller", "PCI Modem"

I have no clue what they did to it to know how to fix it. I have tried everything I Know...

I have uninstalled them all (the ? ones) & Restarted the computer. When I do it just comes back up as installing new hardware. but when it goes to search for the driver of course it can not find it. I have pointed it right at the drivers I download but still no go.

Not exactly sure what to do at this point. Only going to be here for today....

Oh and I have another pc with the same issue that they did (A regular Dell 4550) But I will post about that one once I get this one fixed. They did the same thing to that one that they did to the laptop.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a flashdrive I am using to transfer between the 2 pc's (mine & theirs)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MistyC, 28 December 2008 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

When it was reformatted you lost the drivers, you will need either the CD with the drivers or go to the Dell web site and download them there.

Look at this site for the drivers you need to download.

Edited by dc3, 28 December 2008 - 11:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

Well they do not have the cd. (or I wouldve used it already lol) & I have been to the dell site and it is not working. Not sure what I am doing wrong. If you would like to go threw and speak laymen to me feel free & walk me threw it but I will do what you say I Just dont know what to do. I have followed all the ones I Have seen, downloaded all the drivers I can find & they are not working.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Did you try the site that I provided the link to, this is specific to your model?

What do you mean by it doesn't work?

How are you acquiring the downloads? At the web site the link goes to you click on the + inside the box to the left to expand the choices and then choose the download from there. In the case that there are multiple downloads you can click on the add to my downloads and download them all at one time when you have all that you want chosen.

Edited by dc3, 28 December 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

This may help: How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

The procedures updating/installing basically the same...except there is no old driver to remove on an install.

Louis

#6 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

Did you try the site that I provided the link to, this is specific to your model?

What do you mean by it doesn't work?

How are you acquiring the downloads? At the web site the link goes to you click on the + inside the box to the left to expand the choices and then choose the download from there. In the case that there are multiple downloads you can click on the add to my downloads and download them all at one time when you have all that you want chosen.

Sorry I posted before you put the link in lol. I will go & check it out now.

#7 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

OK I went to that site (& yes that was the same one I was using before) And I downloaded onto my Flash drive the Chipset, Video & Sound already because If I am correct I have to do them in order right? But when I went to get into the Network area there are 17 of them.. I am not sure which one I need.

Any advice on which one to chose? TY again

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi MistyC,

The order shouldn't make any difference. I know that there is some way to find out the specific drivers that you need by using you product code for your computer. There should be a iridescent label, on laptops it is usually on the bottom of the laptop, this code can be used to find out the specifics of your computer. I'm trying to find out how this can be used to find the specific drivers that you will need. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about Dell will chime in.

#9 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

Ty for trying to help! I have been racking my brain for 2 days now LOL. I did find the service tag (Posted in first post) But they dont seem to be TOO Specific kwim? lol.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

Ok, found what I was looking for, go to this page and click on Enter Tag and follow their instructions. This should provide you with the specific drivers that you need. If you still have problems please PM me your Service Tag number.

Edit: It seems that the link will not take you directly to the page you need, so when the page opens click on Download and Install Drivers From the Dell Support Website ,this should open the page that you need to enter the Service Tag in.

Edited by dc3, 28 December 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

For the network driver, you want the first one-Broadcom:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...mp;fileid=78207
and the bottom of the page, click on the + by install and you will see the installation instructions
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users