Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Constantly Freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MissClyds

MissClyds

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

This issue just started yesterday morning. I woke up yesterday morning to find the computers monitor (which went into hibernation) and the CPU still running (apparently soeone other than myself was on the computer and left it on overnight). I should also mention that the internet was still running as well (internet provided by my cable company)

Because the computer was unresponsive, I had to manually shut it down and turn it back own. It booted up like it normally should, but then 15 minutes after starting it up (and while I was on the internet), it froze. The mouse would not respond, ctrl-alt-delete wouldnt work either, so again I had to manually shut it down.

However, when I tryed to start the computer again, my monitor would display a message such as "No Input Signal" and 5 seconds later would go to sleep. So I was forced to manually shut it down again. I would get this same error message 5 or 6 times before the hp splash screen would come up and load like it normally should. However, the computer would only last between 5-15 minutes before freezing up again.

Once I manually shut it down for the 10th time and turned it back on again, I got an error message about some DLL's were corrupted or missing which prevented Windows XP from loading normally. So I did a PC recovery, and got XP to run again, but the computer is still freezing.

I'm worried that the constant freezing and me having to manually shut it down would be causing more problems. I actually dont know what else to do at this point:

I've already ran PC-Doctor softwate (which was already installed on my PC before) and all the system and memory tests passed.

I've ran a Spyware program (Advanced Spyware Remover I got from majorgeeks) and had 7 infections removed.

I've ran (and still running because the computer would freeeze and interupt the scan) AVG 8.0. So far I've got nothing serious that was caught.

I haven't downloaded or removed anything from my computer that would cause this problem.

If I run the computer in Safe Mode (with networking) I can stay on the computer for 35 minutes or more before it freezes. Normal startup, it barely makes it to the desktop screen. If I do make it by running in normal startup, the computer lasts 5-15 minutes before freezing up.

I got a HiJackThis log all ready to go, but I know you are not supposed to post those here.
Could this actually be a really stubborn virus/adware/spyware that these programs are bypassing or is it something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

It could easily be malware, assuming that your recovery of xp was a repair and not a clean install

I've ran a Spyware program (Advanced Spyware Remover I got from majorgeeks) and had 7 infections removed.

Would you elaborate on this?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

I did not save the report, but I vaguely remeber what was found -
5 or 6 of the infections were just tracking cookies.
The last infection the computer found was some kind of spyware program (dont remember the name) but I was able to delete it.

Right now I'm running AVG 8.0 through the command line (running it in Safe Mode) and a Vundo object was found and moved into quarantine.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry961952

This program Dr.Web CureIt should run from safe mode as a standalone executable, hopefully avg will do enough good to get it to finish

Have you ruled out heat/dirt/dust as a culprit?
Chewy

#5 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

I did open the CPU and used a can of air to get rid of some of the dust of the fans blades , etc.

As far as heat, do you mean the heatsink? I had that replaced several months ago because my old one burned out. That was when I had a heat issue and the computer would just shut off completly.

I'm not sure if it could still possibly be a overheating issue or not...

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Intel cpu's are more resistant to damage from heat than AMD's. But that problem would be evident all the time, less so in safe mode where the cpu is not taxed as much.

In my ten years of working with computer hardware I have only seen a few cpu's that were fried and still functioned a little.

I was just trying to cover all the bases
Chewy

#7 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

Intel cpu's are more resistant to damage from heat than AMD's. But that problem would be evident all the time, less so in safe mode where the cpu is not taxed as much.

In my ten years of working with computer hardware I have only seen a few cpu's that were fried and still functioned a little.

I was just trying to cover all the bases

:flowers: That actually scares me to hear that...If its a heat issue, is there anything I can do to fix it? I dont know too much about hardware for computers - usually when something hardware related is messed up I trash the computer :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Let's rule out malware first, a damaged cpu would be something we don't want to find.

Did you clean out the fans on the power supply, bypassing that step has caused me a lot of grief

:thumbsup:
Chewy

#9 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

No :flowers: I was actually told to never spray/touch that part of the computer by a HP technician (possible shock risk)...As soon as I can get the CPU open and spray it I'll come back with how everything goes.

Thanks by the way :thumbsup:

#10 MissClyds

MissClyds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

Let's rule out malware first, a damaged cpu would be something we don't want to find.

Did you clean out the fans on the power supply, bypassing that step has caused me a lot of grief

:thumbsup:

So I just removed just about every speck of dust inside the CPU and replaced the Thermal Compound on my heatsink. So far so good - the temperature inside the CPU went from 104 degrees celsius to 73 degrees celsius.

I'm still running it in Safe Mode as of right now (I'm going to switch to normal mode in a few minutes). Hopefully this is a sign that everything is better :flowers:

Thanks so much!!!

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

the temperature inside the CPU went from 104 degrees celsius to 73 degrees celsius.

hardware forum?

cpu temps vary by make and model of cpu

Temperatures:
Motherboard 29 C (84 F)
CPU 26 C (79 F)
CPU Diode 26 C (79 F)

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users