Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATX powersupply to EATX motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if I could plug a ATX power supply into a EATX motherboard. Im building a new computer for my firend and he doesnt have the money for a EATX power supply (about $100) so I was wondering if it would be okay to plug the ATX power supply into the EATX motherboard. If so what risk am I running i.e. frying the motherboard/video card/processor. He's building a computer with a AMD 3200+ 64bit processor 256MB Radeon XL800 PCI-E video card and a ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe mother board with a raptor SATA drive and a 250 GB SATA drive. I want to get some feed back b4 i do anything just incase I accidentally fry everything.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

Okay i dont know if anyone is looking this up or what, but i got it figured out. I was looking a picture of a converter online and noticed that the last 4 pins were unused in the EATX side so I didnt waste the money on a converter and just pluged it in. Thanks to everyone who was looking into it
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

Dear Papa,

You never said what wattage or brand you are using. With that setup you need to be extra careful.

Sure it will work for awhile but it will shut down if you are using the wrong power supply.

I am sure you are using a wattage at least 550 plus. Stick with brands like Antec and you should be good to go.

Also, cooling that system is serious! I have a slightly less system and cooling is an issue.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

ATX1.x used a 20-pin connection to the mainboard. ATX2.x added a 4-pin 12VDC feed (which may be appended to the 20-pin connection or offset elsewhere on the mainboard) and a 6-pin 3.3 and 5 VDC booster plug. If your mainboard has these receptacles, you need the cords plugged into them - either from an adaptor on an ATX1.x supply of adequate size, or from the supply board of an ATX2.x supply.

Don't bung yourself trying to use a Dell power supply without an adaptor, the cheapo home Dell lines use a customised power supply connection! Adaptors are needed to allow use of a Dell PSU with a standard board or a standard PSU with a Dell board...
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#5 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:35 AM

Im not sure what Wattage the power supply was like I said I was helping my friend build a new computer. Im pretty sure that it was a 500W power supply that came with his case. His mother board had the P4 Connector so I know that the extra 4 pins weren't for that. We ended up just pluging the thing into the mother board and its been running fine none stop for the last couple days. As far as the cooling goes his case came with like 8 fans in it. The thing damn near hovered when we turned them all on. LOL Thanks for all your guys help. One other thing he's go the external temp guage on the front of his tower that shows the reading of the CPU temp and Chasis Temp and they havent gone above 35 C

Edited by PapaSmurf88, 19 May 2005 - 05:37 AM.

My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users