Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Extern Hard Drive & USB, missing icon for WD in sys tray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

Hi,
hope someone can help.......I have been going back and forth for days and days with Western Digital Support (or lack thereof I should say) regarding this.

I have one of those WD external hard drives (I use it for backing up only) and I am NOT a really highly technical person (setting this up and doing these backups is a challenge!) but I managed to get it all working and managed to do successful back ups, and have been doing so for several months.

I used to have the eject hardware icon in the lower right of my system tray (because they say you should shut it down using that).

It has been gone for weeks now and I don't know how to get it back. They send me all kinds of insane e-mails directing me to do ridiculous and impossible things and I'm getting nowhere! I think they are just trying to get rid of me.

I see the blue button lit up on the unit, and it's plugged into the back of my usb port (which lights up green when I plug this in) and the usb seems to be working fine (my printer is in there too). it's a GE usb 2.0 hub

I am up to date with the "start, windows update" and microsoft updates as far as I can tell.

I have win98se, plenty of memory and space. no other computer issues. I regularly run ad aware, spybot and ccleaner and have updated mcafee. everything else works fine.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:38 AM

Hi er..Help!,
You probably had to install a driver for this usb device to work under Windows 98SE, and it may have become corrupted. I would suggest you uninstall the device and reinstall it.
Find the driver for the external hard drive (probably came on an installation CD). try running that CD and see if there is an 'uninstall' option, if not go into Device Manager by right-clicking 'My Computer' and clicking 'Properties'. Look through the entries under 'Hard Drives' and 'USB Devices' for something corresponding to your Western Digital then highlight it and click the 'Remove' button. Exit device manager, unplug the USB drive and reboot.
After Windows has rebooted plug in the USB external drive again and Windows should say it is looking for a driver for it. Point it at the folder on the installation CD or cancel and run the installation program again. Then you should be back to normal.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for responding! It might take me a few days to try this, so I'll let you know how it went.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Oops, I forgot to say check in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to see if your hard drive (driver) is installed there, if so then uninstall it there.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

If the drive works OK but is just missing the dismount icon in the tray, try right clicking the drive in Windows Explorer. Use the option 'eject' or 'unmount' if it's there to flush the caches and unmount the drive for removal. My buddy got a USB chip drive and it put no dismount in the tray, you had to use right click to unmount it before unplugging it.

Alternately, just leave the drive on until you shut down and the machine will dismount it.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#6 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

Rimmer,
no problem, I'll do the "add/remove" first then? (if I have it) before I try the other thing (when I get to it in a day or two, cuz it will take me some time). thanks so much for adding that!

MalikTous:
I tried right clicking in windows explorer but (and maybe it's cuz I have win 98?) but there is no drive listed in wind. expl, did you mean "my computer" if so, it's not there either........so I'm confused?

also, it doesn't shut down when I shut down the computer! it stays on.....the blue light stays on (it didn't used to I don't think, when I had the eject button) and the light in the usb drive stays on (but maybe I'm still confused!).........so I end up unplugging it to removed it completely, which I know is bad!

#7 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

When I set up a system, I always put a full Windows Explorer icon (short cut) on the desktop, I hate that lame 'My Computer' access to Windows Explorer... I also disable the 'view as Web page' option, set the View to 'Details', and yank out file/folder/extension hides. I use the Tree View (left pane) to find the drive I want to work with. If I want to dismount (eject) a removable/portable storage drive, I have an 'eject' option to dismount it first with.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users