Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer makes a constant loud whirring noise.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevintims

stevintims

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Around eight months ago, my computer started being very noisy. The noise is pretty much like the computer operating normally, but just very loudly, or that the fans are working with some extra noise. If the computer is shut off for an hour or so and then turned back on, it initially runs properly and quietly. After a few minutes, the noise gradually increases, until it's back at its maximum level. This happens even if I don't log on to my account, and I just sit at the screen where you choose who you want to log on as. Everything in terms of software seems to be working normally, but this noise is really annoying. It's loud enough that you can be in nearby rooms and still hear the machine running.

My operating system is Windows XP.

So far, I have taken the computer apart, and cleaned out all of the dust and other junk in the fans. That didn't solve anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:20 AM

Hello, stevintims... I have some knowledge of how fans work and could most likely be able to help you. Did you ever turn on your computer without the cover on and try to isolate the problem to one of the fans? Because your problem could most likely be a fan going bad... happens to me ALOT, I live in a desert environment where there is tons of dust floating around. The simplest thing to do is take your microphone (assuming you have one) open the sound recorder and move the microphone from one fan to next, which ever is the loudest is the fan thats going nad and needs to be replaced... Hope I helped :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:43 AM

It might even pay to check all of your case fan screws they can vibrate themselves loose, actually while you have your screwdriver handy check all of the case screws just to make sure. I had to bend my case around a bit to find the offending fan but i must admit i used to give my case a slapping when it was off and that fixed it....for a while.

Edited by lucent, 18 May 2005 - 05:46 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#4 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:09 AM

Happened to me a few months ago, I diagnosed the problem as being my northbridge fan... Abit are notorious for making bad northbridge fans. What motherboard are you using because it could be the same thing.

#5 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

Definitely... fans. I'd use a small hose to my ear to probe out which fan is going sour as I check it with the case off. Or just a finger, stop each fan for a moment and see if the racket dies down. A computer builder shop or a Web based fan merchant like www.1coolpc.com will sell you fans cheaper than Radioshark, or you can be bold and take the bearing cap off and use some 3 in One oil to recover the sticking fan.

It could also be a hard drive, just less likely. If a drive is making a racket, try mounting it sideways or inverted to unload a potentially dying bearing surface.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users