Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Setup to record LPs to CDs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

For years I have recorded LPs, CDs, etc., to a CD recorder (a Lite-on 5005, although I never used it for DVDs). I would record both sides of an LP to a CD-RW, bring the CD-RW to my computer, run filters, etc., and burn a good CD. Well, the Lite-on is finally on its way out. I've looked around and I'm not happy about the CD recorders out there -- too expensive, and music CD-RWs seem to be in short supply.

Anyway, it looks like the best option is to get a small, refurbished PC -- typically running Windows XP with a 40 GB hard drive -- in the $200 price range, and use it for recording. This would probably be less expensive, easier to use, and (far) more flexible than a dedicated CD recorder.

I'm wondering if anyone else has taken this approach. I don't think I need internet connectivity, but I assume I would still need some antivirus program to protect against infections that might come in on CD-ROMs, flash drives, etc. -- how would the antivirus get updated without an internet connection?

Has anyone gone this route?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

Yes, I agree a free-standing Windows system (a good idea for music production) should still have antivirus protection, unless you can be sure of the provenance of any external storage media brought to the system (eg always already scanned on another system). I think any AV worth its salt will provide a manual update file which you can download periodically using another computer and load onto the music system from a CD or flash drive. I use Avast Free and it does, and any other free AV I've used certainly had that option.

Another possibility is to side-step the issue by experimenting with a Linux distribution pre-setup for doing music, such as DyneBolic or Ubuntu Studio, but you may not want the learning curve of using an unfamiliar Operating System and applications.

Edited by Platypus, 28 December 2008 - 05:38 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

I use my computer and Audacity to transfer my albums
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

I followed your link and like what I see. Looks like a great way to preserve those old LP's.
Thanks,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Thanks, Platypus, that was the info I needed.

Actually, the Windows thing is a bit of a pain. I use a commercial package that does a great job, but only runs on Windows. Otherwise I'd be running Linux.

As far as prices go, refurbs without the OS don't seen to be noticeably cheaper than refurbs with Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users