Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio randomly distorting / jumping in volume

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gatheringstorm

gatheringstorm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

I am using Windows XP with a Pentium 4 i845GE chipset (if that helps)

Recently my sound has started doing one of two things at random intervals.

It will either all of a sudden as I am listening to something, degenerate into a thick mess of modulating distortion which goes away upon restart.

or

It will jump in volume 2 or 3 times louder than normal with a scratchy bassless distortion when I am using Winamp, and is usually fixed by closing and reopening Winamp.

I have tried:

Completely uninstalling and reinstalling Winamp.

3 different soundcards. (It stareted doing it while I was still using my on board Realtek AC97 card, then tried a Creative Soundblaster Audigy, it still did it, so I went and swapped it for another Audigy to be safe, still did it)

I have tried 2 different sets of speakers and a pair of headphones.

I have wiped all my audio devices and drivers, disabled the on board sound and done a fresh install with the Creative Soundblaster Audigy.

Still does it, I am at a complete loss.

Can anyone help me, PLEASE!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gatheringstorm

gatheringstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:36 AM

bump

#3 Cassie M Punk

Cassie M Punk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

having same problem.. both my laptops. thought it was soundcard on xp laptop but now its doing it on my windows 7 laptop too. this is for flash vids and mp3s/vids..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users