Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows vista ultimate 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 photobug

photobug

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

I am currently using windows xp pro 32 bit on an ASUS SLI Premium dual core 64 with a raid 5 controlled by rocket raid card (5 terrabyte drives) . My operating system is on a separate 160 geg disk. Since xp only formats the raid up to 2 terrabytes and cannot use all of my 4 geg of ram I want to upgrade to Vista 64 bit. Can I upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit from the xp 32 and not lose all the programs I have on the system or will I have to buy the full Vista install, format the sys drive and install vista then all the programs. I know some programs may not work but I feel it would take a lot of time to reload all my programs. In addition I would still need to back up the current raid files , format and restore of the raid 5 system.
I did read through the threads and didn't find any answer for this.
Thanks
David
:huh:

Edited by photobug, 28 December 2008 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:37 AM

Going from 32-bit to 64-bit is a platform upgrade. Even if you use an upgrade edition of Vista, you would still be forced to perform a clean install of the operating system. Also, upgrade installs using 64-bit media on a 32-bit OS require the disc be in the drive at system startup since it will not launch within 32-bit XP. I did something similar to what you are wanting to do, without the added hassle of RAID. I had 32-bit XP and wanted Vista 64-bit. I used an upgrade DVD and it performed a clean install as though no OS had previously been installed.

Edited by DJBPace07, 28 December 2008 - 03:37 AM.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

If you have a retail version of Vista you can order a 64 bit copy from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033...ia/default.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 photobug

photobug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Thank you both for your quick reply's.
By clean install I believe you mean it will require a format of the drive and I would still have to install all my programs again. If the upgrade will not require me to download the programs again, I'm all for it. My system was designed for 64 bit, however, through my ignorance I didn't buy the correct version of windows. I can't imagine reloading all those programs I currently have on the system, let alone re-doing the Raid system. The raid 5 is the least of my problems since I can back up the 900 GEG of data, re-format the raid and then reload the data.
Is there any advice you might have on proceeding with the upgrade and what to look out for? When I boot up the system I believe you mentioned I need to have the vista 64 disk in the DVD drive. I haven't purchased the disk yet. Should I buy the upgrade?
Again, thanks
David

Edited by photobug, 28 December 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

You can buy the full version, the upgrade, or OEM edition, but know that a clean install will be necessary to go from XP 32-bit to Vista 64-bit since it is a platform upgrade. The differences between the full, the upgrade, and the OEM are mostly license related. The full, most expensive, version allows you to move the OS from one PC to another should you ever want to. The upgrade edition is self explanatory but if you need to reinstall, you would need to put XP back on the PC then reinstall the upgrade. There is a way around this, though. The OEM edition is just like the full version, but you cannot move it between two PC's or replace the motherboard with a different model without it being considered a new PC. Alternatively, you can wait six months or so for Windows 7, which is pretty much Vista with an improved UI.

Edited by DJBPace07, 28 December 2008 - 04:57 PM.

3939.png

#6 photobug

photobug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

I guess I found my answer from the Microsoft site. So if I want to go to a 64 bit Vista program I'll need to re install all my programs. Bah Humbug! :huh:

From the Microsoft site:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

In either case, thanks for your help and input.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users