Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive Mass Effect bugs!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

What's going on here? I'm getting the hang of the game and starting to dig it, but there's a few bugs that's been annoying the heck out of me.

First things first, I'm running the game on a PC. I've got more than enough firepower out of my rig to pretty much max out the settings (8800 GT SLI, CPU oc'ed to 3.2 ghz, and 2.5 gb RAM).

The bugs are as follows:

1. The worst of the bunch is frequent crashing, forcing me to either end task (or process) or, as it's happened a few times, reset the computer.

2. Persistent and VERY annoying loud beep sounds throughout the game (sounds like "BOOP"). Thought it might be sticky keys, but it's been turned off and never encountered this in other games.

3. This bug just started happening. I would be stuck moving in one direction and I can't stop. It's happened twice so far.

Hope I'm not the only one with these Mass Effect bugs. I'd hate to think that those bugs are going to ruin my game experience. Oh, and yes, I do have the game patched up to date. Maybe there's an updated driver for my GPUs, but I don't think they're the cause of those bugs as I've had no problems graphically.

Thanks,
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

By the way, the beeping sound I mentioned in #2? Now it's starting to happen outside the game. I'm guessing some kind of errant keystroke or something. Can anyone tell me what the beeping could mean?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

I have Mass Effect. It is, generally, a very stable game for me. I've never heard any beeping sounds.

3939.png

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

I have Mass Effect. It is, generally, a very stable game for me. I've never heard any beeping sounds.

Really? PC version too? Hmm, maybe I should copy my save game file and reinstall the game, I dunno.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

Yep, the PC version. I'm not sure how the game reads saved games. When you go to load, you select whose career you want to play and then you choose the save file itself. That is, if you play as multiple people. I don't know which file lists the careers.

3939.png

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Well, after cleaning up my PC, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, defragging, etc... You'd think it would run smoothly. Nope. Still beeps like hell and while it didn't crash, I DID get the dreaded BSOD after exiting the game. Sheesh, now I'm having serious second thoughts about playing this game because of the bugs.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Which sound system are you using? Some sound cards are a little flaky with Mass Effect. I have the Asus Xonar and unless I turn off EAX and other environmental sound effects in the game, I get unusual sounds coming through the speakers.

3939.png

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

No sound card, kind of pointless for someone who's hard-of-hearing and can't tell the difference between mono and stereo. So sound is running off integrated HD audio from my mobo (eVGA nForce 680i SLI). I COULD use EAX and I notice a slight difference, but like you, I was experiencing some odd issues with it so I turned off the EAX, but that was about a month ago right after I got the game.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

What did the BSOD while exiting the game say? There are minidump files on your computer that might have answers. Have the users at the Bioware forums been any help?

3939.png

#10 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

No clue, 'puter rebooted itself before I had a chance to read it. There have been a ton of people on the Bioware forums that seem to have the some of the same problems I have. One says it's an AVG Anti-Virus issue, another says that the game hates 8800GT cards and to turn down the textures from ultra to just high, so it could be anything, really. In any case, I kind of gave up on playing it. It's just going to sit on my computer and in my drawer until there's either been a patch or try again after the next video driver update. That's all right, I've been kind of getting the itch to play Oblivion again anyway!

Thanks!

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

You could always try playing the game on its lowest settings to see if the problem reappears, or if it takes more or less time to happen. I doubt it has anything to do with the 8800GT card, it would be affecting all G92-based cards, including my 9800GTX.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users