Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no backlight on hp laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shagger

shagger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

My daughter was in car wreak. The laptop was sitting on her lap when the air bags deployed. She did not notice till she got home that her screen back light was not working, Took it to a shop and worked on external monitor. Replaced lcd inverter board and still does not work. What else could it be. The inverter board powers up. I have a lot of trouble finding anyone who take screen apart to check bulbs. They all say replace screen. My logic says the screen works ,and it does,but without light. What are my final choices. It is a nice laptop, hp dv-8000, but too expensive to replace. Any help would be appeciated,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

I understand their hesitation, if they slip, they ruin your LCD and end up owing you a new one. Boot it up and hold a flashlight against the screen, you should be able to see text if the video output is still working. If it is OK, then bulb(s) are about the last option to fix it. Some of the higher end HPs have dual bulbs. Bulbs can be replaced, but it can be a bear. You might look around on EBay or shop that specializes in used laptop parts and find the complete display.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

This is an eBay store, not a private seller
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LCD-CCFL-BACKLIGHT...1QQcmdZViewItem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

I would just change the entire screen..its not that big of a deal and can usually be done for less than $100. I did one on a gateway mx6131 and at first i was like "I dont know that i can do it" its pretty much 2 things..the power from the inverter..and the ribbon to the video on the mobo.....if you can install a cd drive....then you can install a screen! its that easy!
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#5 shagger

shagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:09 AM

I would just change the entire screen..its not that big of a deal and can usually be done for less than $100. I did one on a gateway mx6131 and at first i was like "I dont know that i can do it" its pretty much 2 things..the power from the inverter..and the ribbon to the video on the mobo.....if you can install a cd drive....then you can install a screen! its that easy!

Do you have good websites where i can find screens?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

The service manual detailing service disassembly/reassembly etc can be found here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00701888.pdf

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users