Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Restore Active Desktop or open Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jsheez

jsheez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hello,

Well let me start off by saying I'm a newbie here! I am currently running Windows XP and just recently installed Norton 360. The problems below did not start until after I had successfully installed Norton 360. It was working fine until later that night. My wife had went on to the internet and after she finished that's when the problems showed up.

My first problem is I can't restore my Active Desktop. When I press the restore button I get an error message. The error message reads:

Internet Explorer Script Error

Line: 65

Char: 1

Error: Object doesn't support this action

Code: 0

URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/BigSheriff/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Desktop.htt

Do you want to continue to run scripts on this page? Yes / No

Problem 2:

I can not open the control panel, printer and faxes, my computer, etc... (the tabs on the start menu) The screen simply blinks (going to my orginal desktop) and goes back to that white (restore active desktop) screen. It seems like it resets it self because my quick launch icons disappear then reappear as if I restarted the computer.

I have run my Norton virus scan, Spy Sweeper, and a couple of online virus scans but they could not find a problem. Please help I'm stumped! Usually I can figure these things out but I guess this one has got me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Active Desktop script error fix

* Open an explorer window.
* Go to tools > folder options > view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files.
* Apply and ok.
* Then do a search in your sys drive [usually c: ] for desktop.htt. It will be in Docs and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
* Delete them [One or more].
* Close the explorer window, re-click your desktop and click Refresh.
* Make sure to then go back and RECHECK that box for view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files.. you really don't want those special files exposed all the time!

madcraic.com

Edited by garmanma, 27 December 2008 - 10:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jsheez

jsheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Thanks garmanma... But I can't get into an explorer window. I can get into my IE but not a regular explorer window (I even tried to sneak in typing in MyComputer but that was a no go). I checked the site you retrieved it from and I got my icons to pop up using their workaround but my screen is still white. (with the active desktop error still showing)

#4 jsheez

jsheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

I still need a little more help can anyone assist me.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Can you go to Start -> Search?

#6 jsheez

jsheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

Nope I can't get Search to pop up. It does the same thing as I stated in Problem 2.... As far is it just blinks the taskbar and my quick launch icons disappear then reappear as if I restarted the computer.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

Do you have a Microsoft XP CD?

Louis

#8 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

You might have the rogue version of Norton 360.

You could try scanning your system with SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/

or

Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Both are free.

or

Try fixes with this practical link: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Edited by karbo1, 30 December 2008 - 11:39 AM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#9 BARNEYBOY

BARNEYBOY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi
I have the same problem as jsheez.in Dec 2008
The Restore Active Screen says to
Right Click desktop
Click properties
Click Desktop tab.

However-my properties box only has the following
Themes/Screensaver/Appearance/Settings
This desktop tab has been missing for some considerable time and I haven't bothered about it before.
Any ideas anyone as to how I might retrieve it-
My computer is 3years old.
Cheers
BarneyBoy- new member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users