Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Look at Windows 7 Beta 1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

This is a short post but it has several screen caps that might be interesting.

ZDNet - First Look at Windows 7 Beta 1

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

The beta is available online on various torrent sites (not that I condone that sort of thing)... But I wonder what the benefit of downloading something like that and using it now would be? Perhaps, just to get an idea of how the OS behaves, new features, etc.?

I imagine it would be nearly useless for everyday use.
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Many disagree about the everyday use, some say that, aside from a few details, it's largely ready for general use. I say wait for the normal public beta.

3939.png

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

FWIW, when the beta is officially released I plan on using it as my primary system (the M3 build was very stable for me).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 3Dmuses

3Dmuses

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hello from a new member! I was eager to explore the Beta release but wondered what happens when it times out? Mandatory purchase at full retail from MS? Perpetual use until ... or will it just stop?

GB-)

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

It'll stop on you, but should give you enough notice to backup your stuff.
If you want the "real deal" you're going to have to purchase it.

A beta is a great way to "try before you buy" - but it's not the finished product.
With the Vista beta, I could install a lot of things that can't be installed on the RTM version.

A beta is a great way to experience the latest and greatest in Microsoft's products - but the price for that is stability.
In one of the earlier Vista betas my network card was causing BSOD's. That meant no internet for me on that system.
That was fixed in the RTM and I'm happily running Vista on that system (it's the one I'm using to type here).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

For those who have used it, what did you use to burn the file with (software), did you use a dvd-rw or dvd-r, if the file is an ISO did you have to make it a bootable dvd first?

thx

#8 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

For those who have used it, what did you use to burn the file with (software), did you use a dvd-rw or dvd-r, if the file is an ISO did you have to make it a bootable dvd first?

thx

I'm using the 64 bit and I used Nero dvd rom (iso) and dvd-r disk . So far I like IE 8 beta 64 , its fast

Edited by snooker, 10 January 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I burned the image for the x64 bit version on Vista x64 using Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder Power Toy.

Yes, it's gotta be bootable unless you're installing from within Vista SP1 (to use the upgrade feature)

I burned the image for the x86 (32 bit) version on an XP Pro system w/SP2 using Roxio (it's the work computer).

It runs well on my tablet, but I had difficulties viewing the Lenovo download's (in IE8) because it was way too small (the zoom tool makes it readable)

#10 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

I installed the beta in VirtualBpx and I like it. I've never used Vista as my main OS so I can't say much but from the little I've used of it and from what I've read, Windows 7 seems like a major upgrade.
It ran well with 512 mb of RAM dedicated to it even though not many aero type things were enabled (couldn't figure our how to turn them on, if they exist)

Overall windows seven looks really good to me, and hopefully my next computer will have it preinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users