Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32.TDSS.rtk?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mds240

mds240

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

This morning, my wife complained to me that her internet was slow and her google search links weren't going to the right places. I checked it out and found that they were, in fact, being redirected. I started IE (she normally uses firefox) and found that the same thing was happening.

So, I attempted to go to the Kaspersky online scanner and got a 404 error. I tried going to AVG and Symantec and got the same error. I tried the sites on my computer and they worked. I did an nslookup of the web addresses on my computer and was able to access the sites on my wife's computer by entering the IP octets (but I couldn't get any online scanning to work). I did an nslookup on my wife's computer and got the correct IP addresses. I did a ping on my wife's computer and got localhost. I checked the registry key for the hosts file and found it was still in the default location. I checked the hosts file and it was empty (except for localhost).

I downloaded AVG on my computer and put it on a CD-RW and installed it on my wife's computer. It started but wouldn't update. It also crashed when I started a scan.

I then downloaded SpybotSD and the most recent update exe and installed that on my wife's computer. It installed but wouldn't start. I went into the program directory, made sure the files were there, and then renamed the executable to "Tester"--and it ran. The scan ran to completion seemingly without any problems.

The Spybot scan turned up a bunch of adware and cookie trackers and such and also reported a trojan called Win32.TDSS.rtk. It wasn't able to remove this trojan as files were in use but suggested that I reboot and have Spybot run on boot, which I have done.

Spybot claimed to have successfully removed the trojan. I checked a ping of symantec and avg and they were both returning the correct address.

However, as soon as a web browser was started (either firefox or IE), the problem began anew. The browser hangs up for a long time before loading the home page. I immediately pulled up a command prompt and checked ping. The antivirus web sites are all pinging as localhost again.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in solving this--I have about reached the limits of my personal knowledge in this area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by mds240, 27 December 2008 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mds240

mds240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the help!

I'm working on your instructions.... but besttechie.net, g500.org, and majorgeeks.com are all blocked. (This site is blocked too, btw, I'm on my computer to post.) I downloaded MBAM on my computer and moved it to hers via CD. Unfortunately, it won't install. The installation just dies after creating an empty directory in Program Files. I tried renaming the install exe, but that didn't help.

So what I am doing now is running Spybot again to clean it out and try to get MBAM installed in the period of time before it reasserts itself. Probably be at least an hour before Spybot's finished. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

ETA: I had renamed the installer to test.exe, but I just went back and renamed it test.bat. It made it all the way through the install (according to the green bar), but the installer isn't exiting normally (not sure if this is because I changed the file extension or not). In any case, I checked the program directory and it looked like all the right files are there (though I really have no way of knowing.) I changed the program executable to test.bat also and it seems to have started up. I'm trying the scan now.

Edited by mds240, 27 December 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#4 mds240

mds240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Here's the MBAM log from before I told it to repair the problems. It didn't save the one from after repairing the problems (for some reason). It said I'd need to reboot to finish the repairs, but when I rebooted it didn't start back up (at least not visibly). So, I started it up manually (I was able to do this with the unchanged executable file name... and ping was also reaching the antivirus sites, btw). There was one problem left, which I told it to repair. I've included that log as well.

--------------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1539
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

12/27/2008 6:34:41 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-27 (18-34-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 58518
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 13

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSacun.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSirxy.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSktpo.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSqavu.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSxxou.sys (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSS9a4c.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSS9c6e.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSS9ea1.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSSa150.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\TDSSa4cb.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Local Settings\Temp\TDSSdcd0.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSqqon.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSwghd.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

----------------------------------------------------

Database version: 1550

12/27/2008 6:52:04 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-27 (18-52-04).txt

Objects scanned: 58804
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Local Settings\Temp\TDSSdc82.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

==================================================

Then, I got worried because (until I quarantined my wife's PC) both PCs were networked and routinely shared files, so I ran a MBAM scan on my computer as well:

12/27/2008 6:35:26 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-27 (18-35-26).txt

Objects scanned: 91238
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 1
Files Infected: 2

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\43420.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Temp\Setup_ver1.1398.0.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-----------------------------------------------

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Now rescan again with MBAM but this time perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for updates before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan in "safe mode".
-- Post the log in your next reply and let me know how your computer is running.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections (TDSS[random characters.***]) was related to a nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control again. and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

#6 mds240

mds240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

MBAM Full scan log:

---------------------------------------------

12/28/2008 1:00:35 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-28 (13-00-35).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 119572
Time elapsed: 59 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Dr.Web log:

couponprinter.exe\data012;C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Desktop\couponprinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
couponprinter.exe\data013;C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Desktop\couponprinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
couponprinter.exe\data015;C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Desktop\couponprinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
couponprinter.exe\data016;C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Desktop\couponprinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
couponprinter.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Desktop;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
npCouponPrinter.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins;Adware.Coupons.34;Incurable.Moved.;
A0015046.exe\data012;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{03ACCA1E-B488-4DFA-837C-FAD1004E3480}\RP441\A0015046.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
A0015046.exe\data013;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{03ACCA1E-B488-4DFA-837C-FAD1004E3480}\RP441\A0015046.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
A0015046.exe\data015;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{03ACCA1E-B488-4DFA-837C-FAD1004E3480}\RP441\A0015046.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
A0015046.exe\data016;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{03ACCA1E-B488-4DFA-837C-FAD1004E3480}\RP441\A0015046.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
A0015046.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{03ACCA1E-B488-4DFA-837C-FAD1004E3480}\RP441;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
CouponPrinter.ocx;C:\WINDOWS;Adware.Coupons.34;Incurable.Moved.;

The computer seems to be running fine now--no web address redirects or blocked URLs or blocked antivirus executables. The whole rootkit thing is making me very nervous, however.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:33 AM

Your decision as to what action to take should be made by reading and asking yourself the questions presented in the "When should I re-format?" and What Do I Do? links I previously provided. As I already said, in some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

There are no shortcuts or guarantees when it comes to malware removal. Sometimes it takes several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. Even then, with some types of malware infections, the task can be arduous.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
alternate download link

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform the above instructions in normal mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users