Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid of McAfee, Need All New Programs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BrianJBustos

BrianJBustos

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

My McAfee Total Protection subscription is running out soon and to tell you the truth, I have not been happy with it. My browser was recently hijacked and with the help of the people at this site, I was able to get it up and running. During my recent problems, McAfee was rendered completely useless, unable to fully load and function. That being said, I am looking to get some new programs to run and protect my computer from the dangers of the internet. I am also using the default Windows Firewall and McAfee SiteAdvisor and would like to replace those. Any input on what kind of AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, Firewall, etc. would be very helpful.

Here is some information about my computer:

Inspiron 8600
Intel Pentium M Processor 1.50 GHz
MS Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3.0
512 MB RAM.

Also, I used Malwarbytes' Anti-Malware during the fixing of my computer and I liked the way it worked. Any comments on this program?

Thanks,

Brian J Bustos
Brian J Bustos

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hello to me it's about what works best for you and your system. You can try a few free tools here and see what works best.
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
I think MBAM is one of the best tools out there.
I personally use AntiVir, MBam,SUPERAntiSpyware,SpywareBlaster and the Comodo Personal Firewall. All on that page.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:26 AM

With only 512Mb of RAM you would maybe prefer something very light. You may like to try the complete Comodo Internet Security which is free for all users and on my system is only using between 5MB 10Mb in total.
James

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

You may want to try, as JamesFrance said, something light on resources. Comodo has a free security suite (anti-virus and firewall) I use their firewall but not the AV so I can't grade it. The firewall is great so far, I got it yesterday :thumbsup: . It can be downloaded from here

If you would like to only use the Comdo firewall (you will be prompted during installation which features to install), but want a separate AV program, Avira Antivir is amazing. I use it and love it. It can be downloaded from here

As for anti-spyware, you can have multiple on your machine, but only 1 real time protection. Malwarebytes Anti-malware is probably the best I have used. Another good choice would be Spybot Search and Destroy which has a bad download blocker, hosts file, and real time protection in the form of TeaTimer (I wouldn't enable TeaTimer unless you know what you are doing)

I would download both malwarebytes and Spybot and run them both regularly, at least once a week.

#5 BrianJBustos

BrianJBustos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Alright, so I decided to go with:

The Standard Windows Firewall
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus
SpyBot - Search and Destroy
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
CCleaner

If anyone has any other program to add or something to say about something I did download feel free to give your input. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.
Brian J Bustos

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

Get rid of the windows firewall NOW! :D It is terrible. Seriously consider going with Comodo or another free firewall.

Everything else looks fine and dandy though (since when do I say "fine and dandy??? :flowers:) :thumbsup:

CCleaner isn't a security software....it's a temporary file cleaner....

#7 BrianJBustos

BrianJBustos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

Anyone know how to uninstall Windows Firewall?
Brian J Bustos

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

You can't uninstall it. I was just saying to switch to another firewall. Keep it running until you install your new firewall then you can disable it by going to Control Panel -> Security Center-> Windows Firewall And make sure it is set to "off".

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:47 AM

Comodo will automatically deactivate the Windows Firewall on installation.

#10 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Alright, so I decided to go with:

The Standard Windows Firewall
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus
SpyBot - Search and Destroy
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
CCleaner

If anyone has any other program to add or something to say about something I did download feel free to give your input. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.

I would add to the above, Spywareblaster and possibly Windows Defender.

Just my opinion, but Comodo Firewall may be a little advanced for the new/average user, PC Tools Firewall may be an easier alternative that also offers v.good protection.

[PC Tools] Firewall Plus now caters for two levels of users:

1. Normal User Mode offers a simplified interface for basic users to protect their computers when connected to the Internet or any other network. All you need to do is to choose which applications are allowed access to the Internet/network.

2. Expert User Mode provides a highly configurable interface for advanced expert users to allow greater control over how your computer and applications connect and interact with the Internet/network. Expert user mode gives you additional options to create custom rules for applications and to control traffic at port-level. Firewall Plus alerts in expert mode are also more detailed to facilitate a greater understanding of the connections made by the applications.

Also, if your not using it already, I would add Firefox with the add-ons NoScript and Adblock Plus.

Again, these suggestions are just my personal opinion formed from my own experience and I make no claim to be an expert.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Go FireFox!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :thumbsup:

#12 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Hello,
You may want to reconsider your choice of spybot. It is no longer being recommended due to poor testing results. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm. I personally use SUPERAntiSpyware Free version . If your looking for "real time protection" then you might consider Spyware Terminator. I used a beta version for a short while, but had some issues with it recognizing legitimate programs. Again it was still in it's infancy and I've seen it recommended by other users at BC.
I also agree with RedDawn, Spywareblaster is a good addition to your defense system.

Good Luck,
CCRN396

#13 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

And while visiting MVPS, you could do a lot worse than deciding to download and install their hosts file, which would stop your browser visiting a lot of bad web sites.

The latest Comodo firewall is a lot easier to use than older versions, with it's default configuration there are far less pop-ups than before. CFP3.5.57173.439 is the current release and is about to include Threatcast which will give guidance on whether to allow new outbound connections.
James

#14 BrianJBustos

BrianJBustos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

Alright guys, thanks so much for the advice so far, but I have another question.

Should I keep using McAfee SiteAdvisor or should I got for something else. And if something else, what should I use?

Thanks again guys.
Brian J Bustos

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

You can keep it, and if you are using firefox, you can add WOT (Web of Trust) which is just like Siteadvisor but has ratings from actual people that use it. It can be downloaded here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users