Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo firewall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

I just recently (I am downloading Comodo now) got comodo firewall. I currently have a wayyyy out dated Norton and have used that as my firewall for years. I'm just wondering, is Comodo a good firewall? Will it cause any system slowdowns? Will it work with Avira Antivir and Spybot TeaTimer active?

Edited by xblindx, 27 December 2008 - 03:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Comodo 3.5 firewall is one of the best available and very light on system resources. It works well with Avira but it's outbound protection needs it's HIPS component Defense+, so you would be better not to have teatimer enabled as well.
James

#3 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

I just recently (I am downloading Comodo now) got comodo firewall. I currently have a wayyyy out dated Norton and have used that as my firewall for years. I'm just wondering, is Comodo a good firewall? Will it cause any system slowdowns? Will it work with Avira Antivir and Spybot TeaTimer active?

Hey 'xblindx',

The Comodo Firewall download is now available only as part of a suite, which includes Comodo Firewall Pro and also Comodo Antivirus.
During the install you will be offered options:

Comodo Internet Security comes with a collection of vital security needs for your PC. Please select products you wish to install or unselect products you wish to uninstall in order to continue.

First you will see:
Install Comodo AntiVirus.
Install Comodo Firewall.

You may wish to uncheck during installation, "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", "Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage".

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Comodo SafeSurf is a good thing to include because it offers buffer overflow protection, the toolbar can be uninstalled separately if not required.
James

#5 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

I didn't get to check this thread before it completed the install :thumbsup: I chose to go with only the firewall because I have Avira, I chose the middle option for the firewall (there were 3 choices, the middle was default).
I didn't choose safe surf either. I have WOT and Siteadvisor, but could you please explain what else SafeSurf offers?

I am sure you can help me with this, It said svchost.exe was trying to like communicate with another computer, I chose to allow because svchost is legitamate, is this the right choice?

Also, what "mode" should it be in? It is in safe mode now, it was defaulted. Is training mode preferable?

Edited by xblindx, 27 December 2008 - 04:35 PM.

#6 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

I didn't get to check this thread before it completed the install :thumbsup: I chose to go with only the firewall because I have Avira, I chose the middle option for the firewall (there were 3 choices, the middle was default).
I didn't choose safe surf either. I have WOT and Siteadvisor, but could you please explain what else SafeSurf offers?

I am sure you can help me with this, It said svchost.exe was trying to like communicate with another computer, I chose to allow because svchost is legitamate, is this the right choice?

Also, what "mode" should it be in? It is in safe mode now, it was defaulted. Is training mode preferable?

I am not allow to give this kind of advise, but you can ask in the: Study Hall Forum you will get more replies from the Big Guns there.

#7 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

Ahh, didn't see that Junior Classmen label :D

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

SafeSurf is only buffer overflow, if you want to add anything you can run the installer again, if you look in Start/Progams/Comodo CIS you can see uninstall or upgrade which lets you do that.

If you are sure your computer is clean you can use training mode to let it learn your applications and you should get no popups. As you are doing HJT Class you know how to check those anyway, so may prefer to use safe mode which will not alert any activity in the Comodo safe list. That can be the permanent mode and I would not expect that many popups after a day or two. Yes svchost is ok (not svhost of course).

Edited by JamesFrance, 27 December 2008 - 04:59 PM.

James

#9 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yes, it was svchost.exe. The little information box that came up also defined it as legitamant but I just thought it strange to be trying to access another computer. Is there a way to bring up logs of activity?

#10 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

:thumbsup: But I can point a page so you can go and read about it go Click ===>>>Here :flowers:

#11 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Only if it's blocked, it was probably checking updates.
James

#12 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

That was a short, interesting article Net Surfer. I had read up on svchost.exe before, for some reason that I can't remember. I'm guessing its normal for svchost.exe to be accessing the internet in intervals? It is most likely checking for updates, updating time and ect. correct?

#13 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

There is a lot to read in that link I gave you and I found this also:

If you have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm, it may ask if it's ok for svchost to access the internet. It's probably ok to allow it. There is at least one legitimate service that svchost supports that does need to access the internet: the time service. It connects to time servers on the internet to ensure your clock is correct.

So you may want to go back and read some more from that link, and I believe there is a tutorial about this in BleepingComputer where you can read more about it also.
Check the Library for a link to it

#14 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

There is a lot to read in that link I gave you and I found this also:

If you have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm, it may ask if it's ok for svchost to access the internet. It's probably ok to allow it. There is at least one legitimate service that svchost supports that does need to access the internet: the time service. It connects to time servers on the internet to ensure your clock is correct.

So you may want to go back and read some more from that link, and I believe there is a tutorial about this in BleepingComputer where you can read more about it also.
Check the Library for a link to it

That's exactly where I got the idea that it may be updating the time :flowers: and I wasn't being offensive by saying the article was short. It is not as long as some of the tutorials we have to read in training. It was packed with information that clarifies the misconceptions with svchost.exe. I found it quite interesting. Again, thanks for the link :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users