Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU speed down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gekke Eend

Gekke Eend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

I'm posting this here because I have windows vista and I have no idea where to post it else..

Good evening,
Since a few days my laptop's gone REAL slow.. Checked for virusses but none were found..

I just had a conversation with someone and he asked for my laptop specs so I gave them, when I looked them up I shocked; it said I had 800 Mhz and not 2000 as it always does.

Does anyone has an idea why this is or how this came to be?

I never changed something hardware related on the laptop.

Specs:

Posted Image Computer
  • Fabrikant: Acer
  • Computermodel: Aspire 5930
  • Computername: PC_VAN_DAAN
  • Systeemtype: X86 (32-bits) systeem
Posted Image Motherboard
  • Fabrikant: Acer
  • Model: Eiger
  • BIOS Fabrikant: Phoenix Technologies LTD
  • BIOS Model: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Posted Image Processor
  • Model: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
  • Clockspeed: 800 MHz <<< USED TO BE 2000 :huh:
Posted Image Memory
  • Size: 4096 MB RAM
Posted Image HardDisc
  • Filetype: UDF
  • Size: 285,32 GB
  • Free space: 65,22 GB
Posted Image Graphicscard
  • Model: GeForce 9600M GT
  • Beeldprocessor: GeForce 9600M GT
  • Memory size: 512 MB
  • Drivers: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll, versie 7.15.11.7490
Posted Image Soundcard
  • Fabrikant: NVIDIA
  • Model: NVIDIA HDMI Audio
Posted Image DirectX
  • Version: 10.1
Posted Image OS
  • Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
  • Version: 6.0.6001
  • Service Pack: Service Pack 1
(some names in the list are in dutch because i don't know how to translate them)

Edited by Gekke Eend, 27 December 2008 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

Most manufacturer's will limit the speed of the processor if it's in Power Saving mode. Did this happen when the computer was running on battery power? If so, it's likely to be normal. Plug the laptop back into the wall and wait a bit for the system to recognize the AC power - then check it again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gekke Eend

Gekke Eend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

No, The laptop was plugged in the wall, it was charging its battery as it always does when its plugged in.

The power save option was turned off as always, so it doesn't go slower if its on battery.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

This may be how Windows is set, but there's also (sometimes) power saving stuff set in the BIOS so it'd be advisable to check there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gekke Eend

Gekke Eend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

My BIOS doesn't have a powersave option. And in the BIOS it said my clockspeed was 2.00GHZ.

Something else :

Posted Image

Its dutch but if you open the same screen you can understand what what is.
its supposed to be at 100%, its 40%.

EDIT:

In safe mode its at 100% and the laptop was fast at its supposed to be..

Edited by Gekke Eend, 29 December 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

The CPU graph changes with time - so it'll reach 100% for a short period, but won't stay there for long.
If the CPU stays at 100%, then you'll have a bottleneck that'll slow the system down.

My first guess here would be malware - but you've scanned for that.
Beyond that, I'd guess that it was a Windows problem because the BIOS detects the CPU properly.

Have you checked out the instructions at this page: http://www.schoonepc.nl/
I presume it's the same as the English version here ( http://www.optimizingpc.com/ ) - and it may help to narrow down the issue that's occurring here.
I've spoken with the site owner many times - and he's very good with Windows problems and may be able to glean more from your postings than I can.

#7 Gekke Eend

Gekke Eend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:28 AM

Posted Image

The multiplier is supposed to be at 7.5 , do you have any idea what could of changed it? I cant change it in my bios.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Here's a link to the Intel specs for your processor: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB53

On this page ( http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/core2duo/ ) Intel suggests contacting Acer ( http://global.acer.com/ ) before you contact Intel

I'd still say it was a Windows issue since the BIOS detects the speed correctly - but Acer or Intel should be able to verify this.

Have you overclocked this processor at all, or have you had it overheat on you? This is to rule out damage that may have occurred to the processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users