Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok, now i need some help. Added HD and it wont get recognized.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mr2005

mr2005

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

Long story short, I'm upgrading Hard drives because mine are starting to go and I need more space. I have 2 HD's currently, my OS is on C: and I use D: for do back up files . Other info i posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/188812/will-this-hd-work-for-an-upgrade/

I have the replacement HD for D: my other HD wont arrive till next week. my replacement for d is a 1tb WD HD. i put it in, and the OS didnt recognize it so I downloaded the drivers from WD. I ran the tools for a non bootable drive and it formatted and said it was read for use. When i i went to my computer the D: it still showed a 38.gb HD with the files from my D drive. my d drive was physically removed from my COMPUTER?????

so i thought i needed to reboot for it to work, when I rebooted i got this:
Posted Image

SO i but my D drive back in and tried to reboot and got this
Posted Image

it will boot with the old D drive back in but it's taking forever. literally 10 minutes to reboot.

Any thoughts on why the system wont load with the new HD in? any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by mr2005, 27 December 2008 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

Well...to me, that screenshot is of a BIOS RAID control option...it doesn't reflect all the drives attached directly to the board, as the main screen should. If you are running a RAID, that screen is meaningful. The configuration utility mentioned there...must be for the RAID itself.

I suggest going to the main screen of the BIOS and seeing if drives are reflected there properly, including any optical drives which are connected to the motherboard. The fact that your opticals are not reflected...should have been a key that this is not the correct screen to look at as a reference for all drives directly attached/installed.

Of course...I could be all wrong, but that's the way it appears to me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Louis,

I went in to the bios and i see the drives listed ( the originals) it lists
drive 0 160 GB
drive 1 is a controller
drive 2 160 GB
drive 3 is a controler
drive 4 sony cd player pata
drive 5 NEC DVD PATA

is it possible those 2 drives work in tandem somehow and you cant run 1 with out the other? it always lists 2 drive at 160 gb but i know it 1 drive at 108 gb and the 2nd at 38 gb?

I have no idea if I'm running a RAID . how could i tell?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

<<I have no idea if I'm running a RAID . how could i tell?>>

Good question :thumbsup:, I'm trying to think of a good answer.

From your 1st post in the original thread: <<Each drive says 160gb but that is the total capacity.>>

I would say that you are running a RAID 1, but I've been wrong before :huh:. If each hard drive is 160GB and you were not running in RAID 1 mode, the total stated hard drive space should be about 296GB in XP.

I now suggest you wait for words of wisdom from someone other than I :huh:.

Louis

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

Yes, as per the original topic, you've changed one of the drives in a RAID 1 (Mirrored) array, and the RAID controller has to rebuild the array, which will then look exactly like the drives previously set up in the system.

You don't have a separate C: drive and D: drive. The two drives simply contain an exact duplicate of each other's contents, so if one fails, it can be replaced and the good drive's contents are automatically copied onto the new drive (rebuilding the array). The C: and D: volumes are two partitions on the 160GB doubled-up "drive" created by the RAID array. That's why you only have the total capacity of one drive (160GB) even though there are two 160GB drives.

You will have to replace both drives together, and allow the RAID controller to build a 1TB array, so you will appear to have a new 1TB drive. If you add the second 1TB drive as it is now, you should end up with an exact replica of the original system installation on a 1TB drive, which won't be very helpful, as you'll still have a 108GB C: drive and a 38GB D: drive, and an empty 1TB RAID drive. However, it is possible that once this is set up, you may be able to expand the D: drive out to fill the new array. This isn't as simple in XP as in Vista, and will gain you no space on the C: partition, but might be the simplest way around it. Or even simpler, if you don't mind having a third drive letter designation for the extra storage, you can create a third partition using Disk Management in Windows. Then you'd have, for example, an enormous F: drive for storage.

Alternatively, both drives should have been fitted clean to the RAID controller and a new empty array created. Then you could have seen if the install disks would set up a clean installation that would allow you to choose the amount of space for the drives. But if you had to slipstream SATA drivers to achieve that, doing it by rebuilding the RAID array twice may actually be simpler...

Edited by Platypus, 28 December 2008 - 07:55 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

thanks platypus

i am "starting" to get my head around this raid topic. I have most of my vital files off the old hard drives. tomorrow my 2nd 1 tb drive comes so i plan on loading them up and installing windows on them.

so i understand you correctly, when both are in, I will have 1 tb of space and the other will be backed up automatically? what controlls that, is it windows? how does the resore function take place?

you also mentioned building a new array. what do i need to do to do that?

back to my old set up with the 160gb drives. the aggregate space available was always 160. as i added to either the c or d drive my available was shrinking by that much. in hindsight, i was backing up my important files to my D drive which wasnt necessary correct? i didn understand the setup at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users