Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I control window size in IE?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

How can I change the size a window opens up into when I click on a link in a webpage? I use XP Home SP-2.
It seems somehow it changes periodically and I don't know why. Right now they are opening almost full screen and I would like them to open to about 1/3 screen size. I use to be able to change it by opening one and then going to the corner of the screen and shrinking it to the size I wanted, close the window, then in the future it any link would open in that size window. That no longer works. Any idea how I can change it?
Thanks
Floyd

Edited by floyd, 17 May 2005 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scorpsteals

scorpsteals

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Just drag the window from the edge of the screen. Resize it to your own wish. Next time you open IE you shd get the same sized window

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

scorpsteals
That's what use to work for me, but it no longer seems to work. The next link I click on opens up in the large size again. I'm kind of stumped.
Floyd

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

I think that the problem is that Windows remembers more than just the one-time resize. Take a look at this page:

PC Magazine

#5 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:48 AM

Herk, thanks for the PC magazine tip but after I did that IE wouldn't open at all. No problem though. I just did a system restore and alls fine.
Anybody have any other ideas I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if there isn't a value somewhere in the register that could be edited. I have no idea where I'd find it and if I did what I'd change it to.
Thanks for all your help so far. You guys are great.
Floyd

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

If you have an IE icon near the Start Button you can right click that and then click Properties and set a size there.

Another approach is to open an IE window, hold down the Ctrl key and WITHOUT LETTING GO resize the window to what you want, and still holding the Ctrl key, go to File>Close. The next window you open should recall the size.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

That article from PC Magazine sure made an easy fix seem hard. This is a well known problem that IE has a bug with it's window sizing.

To get your windows to resize and stay that way, do this:

Open up IE, open a window from a favorite and then close the original window, you should now only have one window open. Now move your pointer to the edge of the window until a two sided arrow appears, hold down the left button and drag the window until it fills the whole screen (do not use the maximize button or this will not work). Now go the file menu in the upper left corner, go down to the last choice on the menu and close the window. IE will now open in full size windows.

The PC Magazine article almost had the solution right, the problem is that they closed the original window last. When you do this resize trick you only want the window you opened from a favorite open because windows remembers the size of the last window you have open. Keeping the original window open just confuses matters. Remember when you do this, the only IE window you have open should is the one you are resizing.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

Leurgy and Ronbo, thanks for the suggestion but they didn't work either. To further clarify what I want is to be able to is to,
1.Open a link from a webpage in a new window.
2.Resize that window to a small size.
3.Close it and have future links open in that same size.
I wonder if there isn't a registry edit that would do it? I found one entry under ,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Main, that had as the last name on the list an item called Window_Placement. It has a Data String
there as follows.

2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ae 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 03 00 00 94 01 0

I tried deleting entire Windows_Placement entry and rebooting and Windows just replaced it with the same entry. My question is, is that maybe what is controlling the link window size or maybe some other value in the registry that could be edited, and does anyone know what that edit might be? I've tried about everything, and I really do appreciate all your help.
Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users