Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried To Update...Now Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mizzou86

mizzou86

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

Not here very often, but every time I've used you guys, you've brought me through each crisis, so here's another one.

For months, I've tried to update my XP, but the update never installed. I'm talking about Service Pack 3, the Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648).

Finally today, I decided to investigate to see what I could do. I got on the Microsoft site, did what they told me to do in a message forum, and the update started installing...I was happy.

After 30-45 minutes, I got a message that I lacked the "resources" to install the update. I was given several prompts telling me that it was going to uninstall files, etc. Then I got a Service Pack 3 Setup Error telling me that Service Pack 3 installation did not complete. Next, I got an error telling me that Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly.

After the computer restarted, I got a blue screen telling me that CHKDSK was going to check my file system. It told me that my type of file system is NTFS. THen it checked a couple of things. The last thing it checked was to verify security descriptors. I got the message that I had insufficient disk space to correct errors in index $SII of file 9.

After all of that, it restarted, and I got the screen telling me that Windows didn't start successfully the last time and asked me how I wanted to start things up. I have tried starting Windows normally, the last known configuation that ran successfully and the safe mode, and all three times it gets to the startup screen, it tries to load, a flash of a blue screen occurs and then I'm back on the black screen telling me that windows did not start successfully. I get that evil loop every time I try an option.

I know this is kind of sketchy, but what should I do from here. I'm using another computer so I'll check periodically to see what you folks suggest. Thanks for your help!

Todd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

<<...insufficient disk space...>>

Seems self-explanatory to me, your C: partition has too many files installed on it for XP to function adequately. Some files need to be moved/removed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

How many partitions on the system and how large is each and how much free space on each?

Louis

#3 mizzou86

mizzou86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Please remember that most of this stuff is like Greek to me, so be patient. I hit the link you provided and it tells me to hit "Start", etc. That's impossible since I can't get Windows to load, so going through that process, for now, is impossible for me to do.

One thing that I failed to mention, when I try to start up in Safe Mode, I get an entire screen full of messages like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS

That's not what all of them say, it's just one that I was able to jot down before it tried to start up again.

Todd

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

OK...are you going to answer the questions I asked about the partitions?

The link was just for informational purposes, to show you that you are not the first or last person who encounters this situation.

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

That message you posted...it looks like part of your boot.ini file, quite necessary for the system to properly boot. I don't understand why that should appear onscreen at all. Maybe that's where the boot process halted, I've not seen that before.

Reference: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/classpnp.sys-665.html

Seems to me that you need to move some files right away, since chkdsk stopped due to lack of space. That should be your first priority, IMO...moving files from the C: partition.

Remove the hard drive from your system...and temporarily connect it to another working XP system. You need to move enough files from the CP partition that there is at least 15% of the total partition space vacant.

While you have your drive on that system, you can run chkdsk /r from the command prompt on your drive...and hope that rectifies something (it won't hurt anything).

Louis

#5 mizzou86

mizzou86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

I'm sorry about not answering your question. Honestly, I don't know what a partition is. If you tell me how to find out how many partitions there are and how large they are, I'll be glad to do that for you.

I do not think I have a XP CD. I've been looking to see if I have that, and I don't think I do have it, but I'm still looking.

Could you tell me how to remove my hard drive? I have no idea where I could find another working XP system...this computer I'm using doesn't use XP. But at least if I know how to remove the hard drive, if I find a system, I'll know what to do. If I can find a system, what files should I move? Does it matter?

Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I really have no idea what I'm doing or talking about.

Todd

#6 mizzou86

mizzou86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Check that...this computer that I'm using does utilize XP...my bad.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

To remove the hard drive:

a. Open the case.

b. Locate the hard drive and remove the two connectors (1 to power supply, 1 to motherboard). Remove the (2/3) screws which may be securing the hard drive in the case.

c. Slide the drive horizontally out of it's location.

Maybe the person whose computer you are using...can assist you with small details/questions you may have.

Louis

#8 mizzou86

mizzou86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

I don't think I have the knowledge base I need to understand what you're trying to tell me. I'm sorry if I've frustrated you. I'm using my wife's computer from her work here at home, so I have nobody else to assist me with the "small details/questions" that I have.

Thank you for trying to help me. I'll try a few other places to see if I can get some help!

Todd

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

You don't have enough disk space to perform the operation.
To check your computer for free space, go to Start...Run...and type in "explorer" (without the quotes) and press Enter

This will open Windows Explorer. In the left hand pane left click once on the Computer icon. In the right hand pane it'll list your different drives. Right click on each one and select "Properties". In the next screen you'll be able to tell how much free space that drive has.

Do this for each of the drives listed there. Normally you'll see some drives, and then some CD or DVD drives - you'll only need the drives and not the CD/DVD drives.

These messages are normal when entering Safe Mode:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS

If it locks up on one of them, then there may be a problem. If not, then it's normal.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users